Getting the Answer in terms of Input()

In summary, In Python, there is a difference between a string literal and an expression involving a literal and a variable. The concatenation of the string 'Hi' with the value of the variable called name is called an f-string.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Program asks for input from user. I want to get a printout using input() value.
Hi, I have this mini-program and I am being lazy. Wherever I post this they make me go through a grinder reviewing basics . I just need a small hint. We are asking for the name of the user in "name =input()". I would like the line immediately after name 'x' is inputed to print 'Hi, x '. Instead, when I input 'x' as the name, the output is 'Hi , name' , and not 'Hi x':

Python:
('Hi, what is your name?')
name=input()
print('Hi + name' )

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
the output is 'Hi , name' , and not 'Hi x'

Look at where the quotes are in your print statement.

Likes QuantumQuest and WWGD
PeterDonis said:
Look at where the quotes are in your print statement.
Thanks, Peter, got it.

Some languages have smart strings where you can say “hi $name” and the value of the name variable will replace the $name token. One example are bash scripts and another is the groovy language. I think python might support this behavior in v3.6 with an f-string.

https://realpython.com/python-f-strings/

Likes QuantumQuest and WWGD
From post #1, mostly unchanged:
Code:
print ('Hi, what is your name?')
name=input()
print('Hi + name')
In any programming language, it's very important to understand the difference between a string literal and an expression involving a literal and a variable. There is a difference between 'Hi + name', which is a string of characters, and 'Hi' + name. The latter is the concatenation of the string 'Hi' with the value of the variable called name.

Here's a slightly different version of your program that uses the input() command to issue a prompt, and also concatenates 'Hi ' with the string entered by the user.
Python:
name = input('Hi, what is your name? ')
out = 'Hi ' + name
print(out)

Likes QuantumQuest, jedishrfu and WWGD
And here is another version for Python >= 3.6 which is closer to your original
Python:
name = input('Hi, what is your name?')
out = f'Hi {name}'
print(out)

Likes jedishrfu and WWGD
A nice example of an f-string in python.

1. What is the purpose of using "Getting the Answer in terms of Input()"?

The purpose of using "Getting the Answer in terms of Input()" is to obtain a specific output or result by providing a specific input or set of inputs. This allows for a more accurate and targeted response to a problem or question.

2. How does "Getting the Answer in terms of Input()" work?

"Getting the Answer in terms of Input()" works by taking in a given input or set of inputs and using an algorithm or formula to process and manipulate the input to produce an output or result.

3. What types of problems can be solved using "Getting the Answer in terms of Input()"?

"Getting the Answer in terms of Input()" can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including mathematical equations, data analysis, and decision-making processes. It can also be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

4. How accurate is "Getting the Answer in terms of Input()"?

The accuracy of "Getting the Answer in terms of Input()" depends on the quality of the input and the algorithm or formula being used. The more precise and relevant the input, the more accurate the resulting output will be.

5. Is "Getting the Answer in terms of Input()" a reliable method?

Yes, "Getting the Answer in terms of Input()" is a reliable method as long as the input is accurate and the algorithm or formula is well-designed. It is a commonly used approach in scientific research and problem-solving. However, it is always important to validate and double-check the results obtained through this method.