Gibbs and Maxwell's U-S-V surface

In summary, Gibbs and Maxwell developed a 3D U-S-V surface to visualize thermodynamic relationships, including energy, entropy, volume, and free energy. Gibbs preferred his graphical method over his analytic formulae, and Maxwell even created a 3D sculpture of the surface. Gibbs believed that it was not difficult for a human to visualize the surface, as it is no more complex than what is taught in sophomore calculus and descriptive geometry. It is recommended to study the original publications for a better understanding of the thermodynamic theory of state.
WilliamL
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I found http://www.sv.vt.edu/classes/ESM4714/methods/Gibbs.html" by Dr. Kriz of Virginia Tech. He describes how Gibbs envisioned a 3D U-S-V (energy-entropy-volume) surface, from which Maxwell created a sculpture.

Maxwell believed the surface was of great importance:

"Gibbs and Maxwell continued to use the graphical method to develop
the thermodynamic theory of state by asking the question:
What thermodynamic processes exist when moving from point A to point B on
the energy-entropy-volume diagram?" (Kriz)

I have been unable to find much information about this surface outside of the above website and the original papers of Gibbs/Maxwell.

I was hoping to discover thermodynamic relationships this surface may help visualize. I have created a 3D model of the surface (I can attach the .blend file when I get to the computer lab) that allows many different perspectives.

The relationships this graph provides:
  • U-V-S, U-w-q
  • Isotherms, Isobats, Isochores, Constant Entropy
  • Phase changes
  • Gibbs free energy (if you have a point below the surface, the Gibbs free energy is the vertical distance to the surface)
  • Capacity for entropy (like above, only horizontal distance)
  • and many more

Can anyone provide insight into this surface?

Attachments

• pasted1.jpg
    pasted1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 576
  • 1more.png
    1more.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 644
  • right_orthogonal.jpg
    right_orthogonal.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 972
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
perhaps this will be more insightful:
http://www.esm.vt.edu/~rkriz/classes/ESM4714/methods/free-energy.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you know the relations U=U(S,V) ,you will know everything,including G,F,H,T,CV,Cp

But I don't know anything about the U-S-V surface
Don't you think it is hard for a human being to visualize an irregular 3D surface?

Josiah W. Gibbs developed and described the U-S-V surface in his 1873 publications,
Graphical Methods in the Thermodynamics of Fluids and A Method of Geometrical
Representation of the Thermodynamic Properties of Substances by Means of Surfaces.
Gibbs preferred his graphical method over his analytic formulae, "It would, however,
be easy, starting from the first and second laws of thermodynamics as usually
enunciated, to arrive at the same results without the aid of analytical formulae, to
arrive, for example, at the conception of energy, of entropy, of absolute temperature,
in the construction of the diagram without the analytical definitions of these quantities,
and to obtain the various properties of the diagram without the analytical expression
of the thermodynamic properties which they involve", and so did James Clerk Maxwell.

James C. Maxwell created a 3D sculpture of Gibbs' surface in clay and plaster that
Gibbs described but never drew and published a 3D diagram showing how lines of
pressure and temperature map onto this surface in his textbook, Theory of Heat.

I don't think it is to hard for a human being to visualize an irregular 3D surface. We
teach our students in sophomore calculus, descriptive geometry, how to model and
visualize complex 3D structures. I believe what Gibbs developed and Maxwell further
developed graphical is no more complex than what we have asked our students to do.

And so i suggest that if anyone is interested read and study these original publications.
I believe that a superior understanding of the thermodynamic theory of state is
realized as recommended by Gibbs and endorsed by Maxwell. And they were human.

I find this topic very interesting and relevant to my field of study. The U-S-V surface is a graphical representation of the thermodynamic relationships between energy, entropy, and volume. It was originally proposed by Josiah Willard Gibbs and later visualized by James Clerk Maxwell.

The significance of this surface lies in its ability to depict the various thermodynamic processes that occur when moving from one point to another on the surface. This can help us understand the relationships between energy, entropy, and volume in different systems.

One of the key relationships that the surface helps visualize is between Gibbs free energy and the vertical distance to the surface. This is important in understanding the stability of a system and predicting phase changes.

Additionally, the surface can also show the capacity for entropy, represented by the horizontal distance to the surface. This can be useful in studying the entropy of a system and its changes during various processes.

Overall, I believe that the U-S-V surface is a valuable tool in understanding thermodynamic processes and relationships. I would encourage further research and exploration of this topic to gain a deeper understanding of its applications.

What is Gibbs and Maxwell's U-S-V surface?

Gibbs and Maxwell's U-S-V surface, also known as the Gibbs-Maxwell phase rule, is a graphical representation of the thermodynamic properties of a system. It shows the relationship between the temperature, pressure, and composition of a substance.

How is the U-S-V surface useful in thermodynamics?

The U-S-V surface provides a visual representation of the phase equilibria of a system, making it useful for predicting the behavior of a substance under different conditions. It also helps in understanding the thermodynamic properties of a substance and its phase transitions.

What are the three axes of the U-S-V surface?

The three axes of the U-S-V surface are temperature, pressure, and composition. Temperature is represented on the x-axis, pressure on the y-axis, and composition on the z-axis. These axes intersect at a specific point, which represents the state of the system.

How does the U-S-V surface differ from other phase diagrams?

The U-S-V surface differs from other phase diagrams, such as the P-T and T-X phase diagrams, in that it considers all three variables (temperature, pressure, and composition) simultaneously. This makes it more comprehensive and useful for studying complex systems with multiple components.

What are the limitations of the U-S-V surface?

The U-S-V surface is limited to systems that are in thermal and mechanical equilibrium. It also assumes that the system is closed and does not take into account external factors such as external energy input or chemical reactions. Additionally, it is only applicable to pure substances or ideal solutions.