1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating gibbs free energy

1. Apr 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the standard Gibbs free energy of formation of water vapor at 25 C if for the reaction shown below under standard conditions, ΔH = -484 kJ/mol and ΔS=-89 J/mol K?
    2H2 + Os→2H2O

2. Relevant equations
    ΔG = ΔH-TΔS

3. The attempt at a solution
    Usually I can do these problems with no issue but I cannot seem to get the correct answer (which is -229 kJ/mol).
    First, I converted -89 J/mol K to kJ = 0.089 J/mol K. Plugging this into the equation gives me:

ΔG = (-484 kJ/mol) - 298 K(-.089 kJ/mol K) = -457 kJ/mol.

I did this problem twice, making sure my units were correct. Is my book wrong or did I do something wrong in the calculations? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2015 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

How many moles of H2O are you forming in the original reaction?

4. Apr 16, 2015 #3
    Sorry looks like a typo above. It should be oxygen gas as a reactant. But 2 moles of water are formed. The reactants are both gas and the product is liquid.

5. Apr 16, 2015 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Right, so if you form 2 moles of water, ΔG = -457 kJ. That calculation is done correctly.

6. Apr 16, 2015 #5
    So my book is wrong. I thought so. Thanks for checking my work, I was so confused =)

7. Apr 16, 2015 #6
    What is 457 divided by 2?

Chet

8. Apr 16, 2015 #7
    Why do I have to divide by 2 if the ΔH for the reaction is given for that equation? Does it have to do with the standard states?

9. Apr 16, 2015 #8
    No. The free energy of formation is defined on the basis of producing 1 mole of the compound from its elements.

10. Apr 16, 2015 #9
    Ok I see. That's where my knowledge gap was. So standard free energy requires 1 mol of product formation. Thus in this problem if ΔH = -484 kJ/mol is for 2 mol of H2O, the 1 mol (standard formation) would be half that = -229 kJ/mol. Am I understanding this correctly?

11. Apr 16, 2015 #10
    Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted