Calculating gibbs free energy

In summary, the standard Gibbs free energy of formation of water vapor at 25 C is -229 kJ/mol, calculated using the formula ΔG = ΔH - TΔS and taking into account that the free energy of formation is defined on the basis of producing 1 mole of the compound from its elements. This was determined by correctly converting units and considering the correct number of moles of water formed in the reaction.
brake4country

Homework Statement

What is the standard Gibbs free energy of formation of water vapor at 25 C if for the reaction shown below under standard conditions, ΔH = -484 kJ/mol and ΔS=-89 J/mol K?
2H2 + Os→2H2O

Homework Equations

ΔG = ΔH-TΔS

The Attempt at a Solution

Usually I can do these problems with no issue but I cannot seem to get the correct answer (which is -229 kJ/mol).
First, I converted -89 J/mol K to kJ = 0.089 J/mol K. Plugging this into the equation gives me:

ΔG = (-484 kJ/mol) - 298 K(-.089 kJ/mol K) = -457 kJ/mol.

I did this problem twice, making sure my units were correct. Is my book wrong or did I do something wrong in the calculations? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
How many moles of H2O are you forming in the original reaction?

Sorry looks like a typo above. It should be oxygen gas as a reactant. But 2 moles of water are formed. The reactants are both gas and the product is liquid.

Right, so if you form 2 moles of water, ΔG = -457 kJ. That calculation is done correctly.

So my book is wrong. I thought so. Thanks for checking my work, I was so confused =)

What is 457 divided by 2?

Chet

Why do I have to divide by 2 if the ΔH for the reaction is given for that equation? Does it have to do with the standard states?

brake4country said:
Why do I have to divide by 2 if the ΔH for the reaction is given for that equation? Does it have to do with the standard states?
No. The free energy of formation is defined on the basis of producing 1 mole of the compound from its elements.

Ok I see. That's where my knowledge gap was. So standard free energy requires 1 mol of product formation. Thus in this problem if ΔH = -484 kJ/mol is for 2 mol of H2O, the 1 mol (standard formation) would be half that = -229 kJ/mol. Am I understanding this correctly?

brake4country said:
Ok I see. That's where my knowledge gap was. So standard free energy requires 1 mol of product formation. Thus in this problem if ΔH = -484 kJ/mol is for 2 mol of H2O, the 1 mol (standard formation) would be half that = -229 kJ/mol. Am I understanding this correctly?
Yes.

What is Gibbs free energy?

Gibbs free energy, also known as Gibbs function, is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the amount of energy available for a system to do work at constant temperature and pressure.

What is the formula for calculating Gibbs free energy?

The formula for calculating Gibbs free energy is ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔG is the change in Gibbs free energy, ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and ΔS is the change in entropy.

What is the significance of Gibbs free energy in chemical reactions?

Gibbs free energy is used to determine the spontaneity and direction of a chemical reaction. A negative value for ΔG indicates a spontaneous reaction, while a positive value indicates a non-spontaneous reaction. The magnitude of ΔG also determines the extent to which a reaction will proceed.

How is Gibbs free energy related to equilibrium?

At equilibrium, the value of ΔG is equal to zero, indicating that the forward and reverse reactions are occurring at equal rates. This means that the system is stable and there is no net change in the concentration of reactants and products.

What are the units of Gibbs free energy?

The units of Gibbs free energy are joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ) in the SI system and calories (cal) or kilocalories (kcal) in the metric system.