Glass Thickness for Light Absorption: 90%, 99%, 99.9%

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the required thickness for a slab of glass to absorb varying percentages of light passing through it. The formula for light absorption is shown to be I(z) = e^{-\alpha z} I(0), where z is the distance traveled and α is the absorption coefficient. The conversation also explores other equations from the textbook and the use of differential equations to solve the problem. Ultimately, it is determined that the equation I(x) = I0e-nσx can be used to calculate the required thickness of the glass slab.
Astro Student

Homework Statement

A slab of glass 0.5 m thick absorbs 50% of light passing through it. Compute how thick of a slab of identical glass you would need that:
- absorbs 90% of light
- absorbs 99% of light
- absorbs 99.9% of light

Homework Equations

I spent an hour looking for formulas in my textbook and couldn't find any, which is the primary reason I'm having trouble.

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
The simplest mathematical formulation to describe light absorption is through the equation ##I(z) = e^{-\alpha z} I(0)##, where ##z## the distance traveled and ##\alpha## an absorption coefficient.

I typed light absorption as a function of glass thickness into the Google search engine and it came up on the first hit.

blue_leaf77 said:
The simplest mathematical formulation to describe light absorption is through the equation ##I(z) = e^{-\alpha z} I(0)##, where ##z## the distance traveled and ##\alpha## an absorption coefficient.
So the quantity that we are trying to measure here is intensity? I do see a formula in my textbook saying I(z) = I0e-τ(x). Could that be it?

EDIT: This actually appears to be a formula for intensity through a medium of gas. Nevermind.

Astro Student said:
I(z) = I0e-τ(x)
Shouldn't the exponent be a function of z?

blue_leaf77 said:
Shouldn't the exponent be a function of z?
Yes, I mistyped it. Both I and tau should be functions of x according to my textbook. I'm still not finding a formula for absorption of light by a solid anywhere in my textbook, only for gases.

If you can't find it in your book, you should look for it somewhere else, shouldn't you?

Another formula in my textbook says ΔI/Δ = -(nSΔx)σ/S = -nσΔx. σ here is the cross-section, Δx the thickness, and n the number density. For the sake of this problem, the number density and cross-section would remain constant with Δx as the only independent variable to change ΔI/I. Would this be an acceptable solution to this problem?

Astro Student said:
ΔI/Δ = -(nSΔx)σ/S = -nσΔx.
This is accurate only when the thickness and/or the absorption coefficient are small. Look what happen if you make the deltas infinitesimal (##\Delta \rightarrow d##),
$$
\frac{dI}{I} = n\sigma dx
$$
and then integrate both sides. What expression will you get?

Astro Student said:
A slab of glass 0.5 m thick absorbs 50% of light passing through it.

What would two of these slabs do?

I spent an hour looking for formulas in my textbook and couldn't find any, which is the primary reason I'm having trouble.

Perhaps you underestimate your own powers of reason.

blue_leaf77 said:
This is accurate only when the thickness and/or the absorption coefficient are small. Look what happen if you make the deltas infinitesimal (##\Delta \rightarrow d##),
$$
\frac{dI}{I} = n\sigma dx
$$
and then integrate both sides. What expression will you get?
lnI = -nσ dx + C1.
If I use the knowledge that at x = 0 I = I0 we can use differential equations (I worked them out on a sheet of paper) to get C1 = lnI0 and then I(x) = I0e-nσx.

I think...

Astro Student said:
lnI = -nσ dx + C1.
If I use the knowledge that at x = 0 I = I0 we can use differential equations (I worked them out on a sheet of paper) to get C1 = lnI0 and then I(x) = I0e-nσx.

I think...
Yes, that's right, and how does it compare to the equation in comment #2?

blue_leaf77 said:
Yes, that's right, and how does it compare to the equation in comment #2?
It's looks similar. In the equation in comment 2 I would assume number density and cross section were combined into a single constant.

So, what is still halting you to answer your homework questions?

blue_leaf77 said:
So, what is still halting you to answer your homework questions?
Nothing anymore. Thank you very much!

What is the purpose of measuring glass thickness for light absorption?

The purpose of measuring glass thickness for light absorption is to determine the amount of light that can pass through the glass. This is important in various industries, such as architecture and optics, where controlling the amount of light entering a space is crucial.

What is the difference between 90%, 99%, and 99.9% light absorption?

The percentage of light absorption refers to the amount of light that is blocked or absorbed by the glass. A glass with 90% light absorption means that 90% of the light passing through it is absorbed, while a glass with 99% light absorption means that 99% of the light is absorbed. A glass with 99.9% light absorption is considered to have almost complete light absorption, with only 0.1% of light being able to pass through.

How is glass thickness related to light absorption?

The thickness of glass can affect its light absorption capabilities. Generally, thicker glass has a higher light absorption rate compared to thinner glass. This is because light has to travel a longer distance through the glass, giving it more opportunities to be absorbed. However, the type of glass and its composition can also play a significant role in light absorption.

Can glass thickness be changed to achieve a desired light absorption percentage?

Yes, the thickness of glass can be adjusted to achieve a specific light absorption percentage. Thicker glass will have a higher light absorption rate, while thinner glass will have a lower light absorption rate. However, other factors such as the type and composition of the glass should also be taken into consideration.

What methods are used to measure glass thickness for light absorption?

There are various methods for measuring glass thickness and light absorption. The most common method is using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light that passes through the glass. Other methods include using a laser or optical microscope to determine the thickness of the glass.