Glycol Fog Machine: Is Pipe Pipe Reconstitution Possible?

• I
  • Thread starter Braden T
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pumping glycol fog through a 3/4" pipe without it reconstituting into liquid. The participants also consider the potential benefits of using a larger pipe for this purpose and acknowledge that there may be some condensation and potential issues with using smaller pipes. It is recommended to consult with experts and use larger pipes for this project.
Braden T
Is it possible to pump glycol fog through a 3/4" pipe without it reconstituting into liquid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would it become liquid ?
BTW fog is already liquid ... just an accumulation of tiny droplets in a gas.
The droplets are so small that the hole pretty much doesn't matter.

I have read on several fog machine websites that they recommend transferring the fog through a 3"-6" duct to keep the fog from recondensing into its liquid form again. I'm intending on pressurizing several hundred feet of 3/4" pipe with a glycol fog and have it coming out of several small outlets throughout the line.

Wait.
If you are talking about glycol vapor being pumped through the pipes, the bigger pipe will have an advantage.
The bigger the pipe, the less vapor would condense prematurely in the pipes before coming out.
Sadly, but I don't really have a clue how you would figure out mathematically how big of a difference it would make.
Having a pipe with a four or more times lower radius will significantly influence the flow and condensation in the pipe.
Sadly, I cannot really tell whether it would still work. My guess is yes, but you would have quite a bit of condensation in the pipes which could be a problem.
They might leak glycol or clog the flow or something.One thing is for certain: you wouldn't get as much fog out one side as you put in the other.
The people who write the websites you read through will have some experience with this, so if you are going to do it right maybe take the bigger pipes(they probably know what they are talking about).
30 meters of pipe doesn't sound like a little garage project :wink:

1. What is a glycol fog machine?

A glycol fog machine is a type of fog machine that uses glycol-based fluids to create a fog or mist effect. These machines are commonly used in the entertainment industry, such as in concerts and stage productions, as well as in haunted houses and other special events.

2. How does a glycol fog machine work?

A glycol fog machine works by heating up a mixture of water and glycol-based fluid, which creates a vapor that is then released through a nozzle. As the vapor comes into contact with the cool air, it condenses and creates a fog or mist effect.

3. Is it possible to reconstitute the pipe in a glycol fog machine?

Yes, it is possible to reconstitute the pipe in a glycol fog machine. Reconstitution involves cleaning out any residue or buildup that may have accumulated inside the pipe from repeated use. This can help improve the performance and lifespan of the machine.

4. What is the purpose of using glycol-based fluids in a fog machine?

Glycol-based fluids are commonly used in fog machines because they have a lower toxicity compared to other fluids, making them safer for use in indoor environments. They also produce a thicker and longer-lasting fog effect compared to other fluids.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using a glycol fog machine?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to take when using a glycol fog machine. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use the machine in a well-ventilated area. The glycol-based fluid should also be handled with care and kept out of reach of children and pets. Additionally, the machine should be regularly maintained and the fluid should be replaced when needed to prevent any potential hazards.