Good Beginner Telescope: Best Options Under $200

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Alexstre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, there are many options available for buying a telescope, ranging in price and capabilities. It is recommended to join a local astronomy club to try out different telescopes and get advice from experienced members before making a purchase. It is also suggested to wait and save up for a higher quality telescope rather than buying a cheaper one that may not meet expectations. Starting with binoculars may also be a good option.
Alexstre
Hello!

I'm not sure if this is the right section but it seems the best one for this question. I've been looking to buy a telescope just for fun and I'm surprised with just how many different options are available out there. I'm looking for something that's good for beginners since I've never really had a proper telescope before, and nothing too expensive (probably ~150-200$)

Anyone could recommend anything? Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There are quite a few good options-- I think you can get a small dob for that price range, which is what I would do. If not, one of the small Meade or Celestron scopes (can't remember the exact P/N) would be good.

I suggest you go to this site (click on 'Forums'), look for the beginner forum, you'll find more options and opinions there on this kind of thing.

http://www.cloudynights.com/

Alexstre said:
Hello!

I'm not sure if this is the right section but it seems the best one for this question. I've been looking to buy a telescope just for fun and I'm surprised with just how many different options are available out there. I'm looking for something that's good for beginners since I've never really had a proper telescope before, and nothing too expensive (probably ~150-200$)

Anyone could recommend anything? Thanks!
Find a nearby astronomy club, and attend a meeting or two as a visitor/guest. Let the members know that you are interested in astronomy and are thinking about buying a telescope. Someone may have one for sale, and best of all, you'll get to try it out before buying. Buying a 'scope before you have an idea what will serve you best is a good way to end up disappointed, with an infrequently-used 'scope.

What do you hope to see through your scope? I usually recommend a 6 inch dobsonian as anyones first telescope. This would be capable of some deep sky work. You will want to spend more like $300 though. Anything less will be a disappointment and will hinder the somewhat difficult process of learning your way around the night sky and learning how to effectively use the scope. If you only wish to look at planets and the moon once in a while though, you can get away with something cheaper. On the other hand if you just want to see Jupiter once a year, just find a local astronomy club and they will be glad to show it to you.

dotman said:
There are quite a few good options-- I think you can get a small dob for that price range, which is what I would do. If not, one of the small Meade or Celestron scopes (can't remember the exact P/N) would be good.

I suggest you go to this site (click on 'Forums'), look for the beginner forum, you'll find more options and opinions there on this kind of thing.

http://www.cloudynights.com/
Thanks for the link! I'll be looking over their review section and see if I can find something interesting.

turbo-1 said:
Find a nearby astronomy club, and attend a meeting or two as a visitor/guest. Let the members know that you are interested in astronomy and are thinking about buying a telescope. Someone may have one for sale, and best of all, you'll get to try it out before buying. Buying a 'scope before you have an idea what will serve you best is a good way to end up disappointed, with an infrequently-used 'scope.
We have a pretty big planetarium here and I just found out they have an amateur astronomy club so I think I'll join. It's ~30$ for a year and gives you access to some of their equipment, classes and access to talks given by people "in the field". Thanks for the tip!

Phyisab**** said:
What do you hope to see through your scope? I usually recommend a 6 inch dobsonian as anyones first telescope. This would be capable of some deep sky work. You will want to spend more like $300 though. Anything less will be a disappointment and will hinder the somewhat difficult process of learning your way around the night sky and learning how to effectively use the scope. If you only wish to look at planets and the moon once in a while though, you can get away with something cheaper. On the other hand if you just want to see Jupiter once a year, just find a local astronomy club and they will be glad to show it to you.
The more I look online the more I realize that spending less than 300$ isn't a good idea. I figure I should wait a bit and spend more to get something that'll last longer and that I can really enjoy. In the meantime I'll see what the astronomy club has to offer!

Thanks for the replies

It might be an idea to buy a pair of binoculars first. Less expensive and you might be able to get a feel for what you would like to gain from a telescope.

I agree with turbo's suggestion, good chance to view before commiting. Generally speaking, telescopes tend not to wear out. Serious amateurs are often willing to part with 'used' equipment at attractive prices.

1. What features should I look for in a good beginner telescope under $200?

When searching for a good beginner telescope under $200, it's important to consider the aperture (diameter of the telescope's primary lens or mirror), magnification, and stability. A larger aperture allows for clearer and brighter images, while proper magnification allows for detailed viewing. A stable tripod or mount is also important for a steady viewing experience.

2. Can I see planets with a beginner telescope under $200?

Yes, you can see planets with a beginner telescope under $200. With a larger aperture and proper magnification, planets such as Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars can be viewed with detail and clarity. However, keep in mind that a beginner telescope may not have the power to see more distant planets like Uranus or Neptune.

3. Are there any specific brands or models that are recommended for a good beginner telescope under $200?

Some popular brands for beginner telescopes under $200 include Celestron, Orion, and Meade. Some recommended models include the Celestron PowerSeeker 127EQ, the Orion SpaceProbe 130ST, and the Meade Instruments Infinity 102mm AZ Refractor Telescope. It's important to do some research and read reviews to find the best option for your needs and budget.

4. Can a beginner telescope under $200 be used for astrophotography?

While some beginner telescopes under $200 may have the capability for basic astrophotography, it's important to note that this may require additional equipment and may not produce high-quality images. It's recommended to invest in a more advanced telescope specifically designed for astrophotography if that is your main goal.

5. Is it worth spending more than $200 on a beginner telescope?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and budget. A beginner telescope under $200 can provide a great introduction to stargazing and may be sufficient for casual use. However, if you are serious about astronomy and want more advanced features and capabilities, it may be worth investing in a higher-priced telescope. It's important to do your research and consider the features and specifications that are most important to you before making a decision.