Mechanical Engineering: Electronics Technician Resume Benefits?

In summary, The electronic technician job would look good on an entry level mechanical engineer resume if you have two years of education in engineering.
Whitefire_Nomura
Hello everyone,

As I've said in my introduction I'm planning on going back to school but I want to do this right for once.

I am shooting for a BA in mechanical engineering (Most likely part time cause of this strange thing I need to do also called paying bills) But I don't want to do just any job, I want something I can add to my resume when I graduate. So my question is pretty simple. Does working in the field of electronics as an electronics technician look good on an entry level mechanical engineer resume? Why or why not? And finally, if not, then what job would you recommend I should pursue during my time in school?

Needless to say, I don't think working at a gas station (My current job) would be all that impressive.

Physics news on Phys.org
Working at a gas station might not sound impressive, (for instance); but it still says something positive about you. It says you can do an honest day's labor, get to work on time, you are self-sufficient, and know how to treat people. Not everybody can demonstrate this.

There is a saying in the acting profession, there are no small jobs.

I'm not sure including a gas station job should go in a resume, you might want to consult a career counselor(s) at your school, but do not be surprised if they recommend including it, rather than an resume gap

Working as an electronic technician should be included in the resume.
If you can take a course in your professional interests while working, this can be positive.

Whitefire_Nomura said:
Needless to say, I don't think working at a gas station (My current job) would be all that impressive.
well, it would impress me. I also suggest getting a Summer internship at a ME firm after your junior year. And good grades. And a mastering of the basics of ME courses. Some volunteer work. And a willingness with enthusiasm to learn.

Thanks, Yeah, I am already trying to research internships.
Volunteer work? Anything specific or do you mean in general?

Thanks, that was my thinking as well. One of the biggest hurdles I've seen and ran into is "You have the degree but not the experience." So I want to work in an area that will help with that until I can get my foot in the door.

Whitefire_Nomura said:
Does working in the field of electronics as an electronics technician look good on an entry level mechanical engineer resume? Why or why not? And finally, if not, then what job would you recommend I should pursue during my time in school?
Yes, it would probably look good but you'd need two years of education to become a tech. in the first place, if you intend on becoming an engineer, why bother?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronics_technician
IME employers are more interested in relevant skills. Eg internships and your own personal projects.
I was an electrician before studying mechanical engineering and, as a graduate, employers were more interested in my internships and even more so my personal projects than my electrician experience (beyond it being evidence I could hold down a job).

billy_joule said:
Yes, it would probably look good but you'd need two years of education to become a tech. in the first place, if you intend on becoming an engineer, why bother?

Well I already have an associates degree in electronics in 1997. Granted it's from a school that is now closed and all of my work experience in that field is pre-2000s. but if I can find a way to get my foot in the door, I think it would be beneficial to work in that field while I'm going to school instead of working currently at a gas station.

1. What skills should be included in a mechanical engineering electronics technician resume?

The skills that should be included in a mechanical engineering electronics technician resume are technical skills related to electronic systems, such as circuit design, troubleshooting, and repair; knowledge of mechanical systems and principles; proficiency in reading and interpreting technical diagrams and schematics; and experience with various testing and measuring equipment.

2. What are the benefits of having a resume as a mechanical engineering electronics technician?

The benefits of having a resume as a mechanical engineering electronics technician include showcasing your skills, experience, and qualifications to potential employers; providing a professional summary of your background and achievements; and highlighting your relevant education and training. A resume can also help you stand out among other applicants and increase your chances of getting an interview.

3. How can I tailor my resume to the specific job I am applying for?

To tailor your resume to a specific job, carefully review the job description and requirements and make sure to highlight the skills and experiences that align with those listed. Use keywords and phrases from the job posting to make it clear that you have the necessary qualifications. You can also adjust the formatting and organization of your resume to emphasize the most relevant information for the position.

4. Should I include any relevant certifications or licenses on my resume?

Yes, it is important to include any relevant certifications or licenses on your mechanical engineering electronics technician resume. These credentials demonstrate your expertise and proficiency in a particular area and can make you a more competitive candidate for the job. Be sure to include the name of the certification, the date it was obtained, and any relevant details or qualifications associated with it.

5. How can I make my resume stand out to potential employers?

To make your resume stand out to potential employers, focus on showcasing your unique skills, experiences, and achievements. Use a clean and professional format and make sure to proofread for any errors. Additionally, consider including any relevant projects, internships, or extracurricular activities that demonstrate your passion and dedication to the field. Networking and seeking recommendations from current or previous colleagues can also help make your resume stand out.