1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Good for the Resume?

1. Oct 20, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone,

As I've said in my introduction I'm planning on going back to school but I want to do this right for once.

I am shooting for a BA in mechanical engineering (Most likely part time cause of this strange thing I need to do also called paying bills) But I don't want to do just any job, I want something I can add to my resume when I graduate. So my question is pretty simple. Does working in the field of electronics as an electronics technician look good on an entry level mechanical engineer resume? Why or why not? And finally, if not, then what job would you recommend I should pursue during my time in school?

Needless to say, I don't think working at a gas station (My current job) would be all that impressive.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2016 #2
    Working at a gas station might not sound impressive, (for instance); but it still says something positive about you. It says you can do an honest day's labor, get to work on time, you are self-sufficient, and know how to treat people. Not everybody can demonstrate this.

There is a saying in the acting profession, there are no small jobs.

I'm not sure including a gas station job should go in a resume, you might want to consult a career counselor(s) at your school, but do not be surprised if they recommend including it, rather than an resume gap

Working as an electronic technician should be included in the resume.
    If you can take a course in your professional interests while working, this can be positive.

4. Oct 20, 2016 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

well, it would impress me. I also suggest getting a Summer internship at a ME firm after your junior year. And good grades. And a mastering of the basics of ME courses. Some volunteer work. And a willingness with enthusiasm to learn.

5. Oct 20, 2016 #4
    Thanks, Yeah, I am already trying to research internships.
    Volunteer work? Anything specific or do you mean in general?

6. Oct 20, 2016 #5
    Thanks, that was my thinking as well. One of the biggest hurdles I've seen and ran into is "You have the degree but not the experience." So I want to work in an area that will help with that until I can get my foot in the door.

7. Oct 21, 2016 #6

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Yes, it would probably look good but you'd need two years of education to become a tech. in the first place, if you intend on becoming an engineer, why bother?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronics_technician
    IME employers are more interested in relevant skills. Eg internships and your own personal projects.
    I was an electrician before studying mechanical engineering and, as a graduate, employers were more interested in my internships and even more so my personal projects than my electrician experience (beyond it being evidence I could hold down a job).

8. Oct 21, 2016 #7
    Well I already have an associates degree in electronics in 1997. Granted it's from a school that is now closed and all of my work experience in that field is pre-2000s. but if I can find a way to get my foot in the door, I think it would be beneficial to work in that field while I'm going to school instead of working currently at a gas station.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted