1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills Resume advice for Engineering/Physics Job Search

1. May 4, 2017 #1
    Hello Everyone

I have recently been working at a construction department for my state ( I live in the USA). I have learned so many things from this job, but I am looking for something more related to electronics, programming, or technical consulting.

One of my points mentions creating graphs with Matlab. The purpose of that point was to emphasize my skill level with Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets and MATLAB software. It was not my personal project, but rather a collaborative effort. Should I I rephrase that bullet point into something else?

Any advice on my resume will be appreciated ( and I have removed my identity per the rules) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0mpPbqxBRzleUczTDZvUmF3UlE/view?usp=sharing

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I think your resume looks fine, and I wouldn't bother re-wording your MATLAB experience. When you get asked about it in your interviews, just explain your part of the project and be sure to bring along a copy of the report to show off the work. :smile:

4. May 4, 2017 #3
    Not sure about this as this might be a breach of ethics/law... disclosure of company proprietary sensitive information. Check your Intellectual Property Agreements you may have signed before disclosure.

Cannot see your resume for some strange reason but suffice any skills obtained using MatLab/Simulink would be advantageous to any company using such software, during any interview it will be apparent you have understanding of it's use.

5. May 4, 2017 #4

berkeman

Oh, good point! I thought the results of the project were published in the public domain, but if the project is company proprietary, then you are absolutely right. Thanks.

6. May 4, 2017 #5
    Short link http://bit.ly/2paUPxY

7. May 4, 2017 #6

Here is a short link, hope it helps (I'm using google drive to do this) http://bit.ly/2paUPxY

8. May 5, 2017 #7
    Sorry I still can't see it due to NASA/Boeing IT not allowing Google Drive having this material come through the system. Boeing would be a great place to use your MatLab skills but many other companies like Lockheed Martin, GE, Northrup Grumman, etc. would likely be best to get your resume read. National Labs like Argonne, Los Alamos, etc. are excellent places but these rely mostly on PHD's or Masters type degrees to get good career jobs and very hard to get in.

9. May 5, 2017 #8

berkeman

I downloaded the document, converted it to PDF and will now attach it to this reply...

Attached Files:

10. May 5, 2017 #9
    OK I can see your resume and it looks great. Here is a snapshot of the careers to be had at Boeing and I would suggest it highly. With your MSEE I don't see any reason you couldn't apply for a junior engineer position at any of these engineering groups.

Engineering Job Codes.JPG

11. May 6, 2017 #10
    Some of those job markets can be kinda tough right now, depending on your geographic flexibility.

Your resume looks good, but while treading water in your current position, you can always look for projects and opportunities to expand your skill set and make it even stronger.

About 1/2 my work is locked down pretty tight under non-disclosure agreements, but I can usually get by with vague descriptions of the broad field (armor testing, analyzing data of vehicular blast experiments) along with listing the software tools used (LabVIEW, stats packages, custom C code, etc.) without violating the non-disclosures. Of course, anyone can also point to their publications. Occasionally, one needs to thwart a attempt to glean information about a project that is not in a published paper and is more about a proprietary product than about your professional skills.

12. May 6, 2017 #11

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Change the order of some of your listed items .

Personnel managers generally read application forms and resumes from top down and dump the applicant when they come to the first listed item that they don't like .

Your resume as shown effectively opens with the keywords contractors / asphalt laying / maintenance . That will put your application for an engineer job straight in the bin .

Try putting your academic studies , research and the practical abilities which are actually relevant to the application in the first paragraph and describe your most recent work history briefly in a later - but ideally not the last- paragraph .

13. May 9, 2017 #12
    Thank You. I will definitely give it a chance.

14. May 9, 2017 #13
    I NEVER would have though about it like that. I was trying to make this resume "stand out" in the ATS ( Automated Tracking System). But I was not sure how effective it would show my education and skills versus my current position. I will try a slightly different order and work on the details.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted