Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good m4P (iTunes format) to mp3 converter?

1. Aug 31, 2005 #1

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Does anyone know of a good m4P (iTunes format) to mp3 converter? I have tried a couple of shareware progs that say they can do it, but I have had no luck. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2005 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

Any media player with AAC playback capability can at the very least convert it to WAV from where you can then reencode into MP3. Winamp has a built-in wav writer in its output plugins. You might even be able to find a direct converter plugin.

4. Aug 31, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I'll try that. Thanks for the help.

5. Aug 31, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Just thought I'd share...

After Mezarashi's suggestion about WinAmp I did some looking around and came across a forum for Winamp. I found a post that put me onto this application JHymn. I have yet to try it, but it looks promising. I also agree with what the author says about DRM and all.

MODS: If this post is inappropriate, please let me know and I will delete it.

6. Sep 1, 2005 #5

rho

Removing the protected tags from purchased music is illegal, but you could burn them on a CD and then import them as MP3 which is not illegal but the quality of the sound will drop.

7. Sep 2, 2005 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Fred, you can convert to mp3 using iTunes. Just go under help and search for "convert to mp3." The first article that comes up explains how to do it.

8. Sep 2, 2005 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Really? Damn. I feel even more stupid now. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: I may be missing something here, but I tried converting a tune bought thru iTunes and I get a message that says protected files can not be converted. Harumph.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  9. Sep 2, 2005 #8

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

This might be a stupid question, but why don't you just download mp3 copies of the songs you want to convert? In fact, in the future, why not just buy from mp3.com or another site that sells mp3s? Are their prices different?

10. Sep 3, 2005 #9
    dbPoweramp is v good for converting between formats, cept u need to dl the encoding codecs as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?