Good Mathematical Logic Textbook?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a mathematical logic textbook to review over the summer before taking a course on it next semester. The person has narrowed down their options to Ebbinghaus et al and Mendelson, as they are more advanced than the Cohen book. The Kleene book is not suitable for beginners and the Hilbert book is outdated. The possibility of using Enderton's book is also mentioned.
FluffyLlamas
I've been trying to decide on a mathematical logic textbook to teach myself a bit. I'm taking a course on it next semester, but I have never had a logic course before (I've had some CS courses though and proof-y math courses). I'm also taking a modal logic course the semester after math logic, so I was wondering if there was a good mathematical logic textbook I could use to review over the summer that perhaps has some relevant material to philosophical logic as well? I know the course I'm taking has no textbook, but rather a collection of notes from the professor. The course notes from two years ago has the following textbooks listed as potential supplementary sources:

Computability and Logic
D. E. Cohen, Ellis Horwood Limited, 1987

Mathematical Logic
E. B. Ebbinghaus, J. Flum, and W. Thomas, Springer-Verlag, 1984

Principles of Mathematical Logic
D. Hilbert and W. Ackermann, Chelsea, 1950

Notes on Logic and Set Theory
S. C. Kleene, Van Nostrand, 1952

A Course in Mathematical Logic
Yu. I. Manin, Springer-Verlag, 1977

Introduction to Mathematical Logic
Elliott Mendelson, Chapman and Hall/CRC, 1997

I've read through reviews for all of them and such and I'm thinking that Ebbinghaus et al or Mendelson would be the best for me?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
FluffyLlamas said:
Computability and Logic
D. E. Cohen, Ellis Horwood Limited, 1987

Mathematical Logic
E. B. Ebbinghaus, J. Flum, and W. Thomas, Springer-Verlag, 1984

Principles of Mathematical Logic
D. Hilbert and W. Ackermann, Chelsea, 1950

Notes on Logic and Set Theory
S. C. Kleene, Van Nostrand, 1952

A Course in Mathematical Logic
Yu. I. Manin, Springer-Verlag, 1977

Introduction to Mathematical Logic
Elliott Mendelson, Chapman and Hall/CRC, 1997

I've read through reviews for all of them and such and I'm thinking that Ebbinghaus et al or Mendelson would be the best for me?

Thanks for any help!
In order: yes,yes,no , no ,yes yes.
All the "yes" books are more or less on the same intro level to mathematical logic, except I believe the Cohen book is not as advanced as Ebbinghaus or Mendelson ( these two are really good )

The Kleene book isn't a really introductory book, as it presupposes knowledge of model theory.

I wouldn't really bother with the David Hilbert book. I would have to say that it is.. outdated ( especially since this book was written before Tarski was around )

Have you looked at Enderton's book on Mathematical Logic? I haven't read that one myself, but it seems to be widely used, and I really liked his book on Computability Theory.

1. What topics should a good mathematical logic textbook cover?

A good mathematical logic textbook should cover topics such as propositional logic, predicate logic, set theory, proofs and formal systems, and the basics of mathematical induction.

2. What makes a mathematical logic textbook effective?

An effective mathematical logic textbook should have clear and concise explanations, a variety of examples and practice problems, and a logical progression of concepts that build upon each other.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of mathematics to understand a mathematical logic textbook?

While a basic understanding of mathematical concepts such as algebra and geometry can be helpful, a good mathematical logic textbook should be accessible to readers with little to no prior mathematical knowledge.

4. How can I determine the quality of a mathematical logic textbook?

You can determine the quality of a mathematical logic textbook by researching the author's credentials, reading reviews and ratings from other readers, and previewing the content and structure of the book before purchasing.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a mathematical logic textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, interactive tutorials, and practice problems that can supplement a mathematical logic textbook and provide additional support and practice for understanding the material.