How Does Google's PageRank System Order Pages for Queries Run and Shoes?

• Thread starter overlyeducate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, the pages retrieved using Google's PageRank system for the query "run" are a, d, and e, with the highest ranking page being d. For the query "shoes", the pages retrieved are c, a, f, b, e, and d, with the highest ranking page being c.
overlyeducate
Could I please have help on parts d and e? I have answers for all of the parts (which I will out below the question), but I'm still a bit confused about parts d and e. NOTE: Parts a-d all correspond to the query "run", while part e corresponds to the query "shoes". I'd appreciate any help that I can get. Thank you!

a.) Which pages will be retrieved under a simple bag of words model for the query "run"?
b.) Which page will be ranked highest under the bag of words model?
c.) Which additional pages will be retrieved with query augmentation using the top-ranked bag of words document?
d.) List the order in which the pages will be retrieved using Google's PageRank system.
e.) List, in order, the pages that would be retrieved for the query "shoes" under Google's PageRank system.

Document A
200 words
Appearances:
Run:1
Jog:0
Shoes:2
Page Rank:3.18

Document B
500 words
Appearances:
Run:0
Jog:4
Shoes: 1
Page Rank:1.75

Document C
150 words
Appearances:
Shoes:3
Page Rank:1.17

Document D
50 words
Appearances:
Run:3
Jog:2
Shoes:0
Page Rank:1.32

Document E
250 words
Appearances:
Run:1
Shoes:0
Page Rank:0.70

Document F
300 words
Appearances:
Jog:1
Shoes:2
Page Rank:2.00

My answers are as follows:A) documents a, d, and e B)document d, C) document b, document c, document f, D) d,a,e,b,f,c (this is from best to worst) E)c,a,f,b,d,e (this is from best to worst). I would appreciate any help on parts d and e. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part d, the order of the pages that will be retrieved using Google's PageRank system is: d, a, b, f, c, e (from highest to lowest). For part e, the order of the pages that will be retrieved for the query "shoes" under Google's PageRank system is: c, a, f, b, e, d (from highest to lowest).

1. What is Google PageRank?

Google PageRank is an algorithm used by Google to rank websites in their search engine results. It was developed by Larry Page and Sergey Brin at Stanford University in 1996.

2. How does Google PageRank work?

Google PageRank works by analyzing the quantity and quality of links pointing to a webpage. Pages with a higher number of quality backlinks are considered more important and therefore given a higher PageRank.

3. Does Google PageRank still exist?

Yes, Google PageRank still exists, although it is no longer publicly visible. In 2016, Google officially removed the PageRank toolbar from their browser and has not updated the visible PageRank scores since then.

4. How important is Google PageRank for SEO?

Google PageRank used to be a major factor in SEO, but it is now just one of the many factors that Google considers when ranking websites. Other factors such as content quality, user experience, and mobile-friendliness also play a significant role.

5. Can I improve my website's Google PageRank?

Yes, there are several ways to improve your website's Google PageRank. These include creating high-quality content, building quality backlinks, and optimizing your website for SEO. However, it is important to note that Google no longer publicly displays PageRank, so focusing solely on this metric may not be the most effective strategy.