Port: 5222Google Talk: Get Started Now!

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
In summary, Google has recently launched their own IM service called Google Talk. To join, one needs a gmail account and a Jabber client. The service comes with a talk function and there is indication that the sound quality may be better than Skype. It currently does not offer calls to landline phones and can be used on Linux using gaim-vv. Some speculate that Google may also offer webspace in the future, possibly with a large amount of storage like their email service.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Google has started their own IM service called Google Talk. You too can join by having a gmail account and a Jabber client (http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtml ).

Username: <gmail account username>
Password: <gmail account password>
Server: talk.google.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
So, it comes with talk function too. Has anyone tried it ? Is the quality of sound better than Skype?

I'm guessing it is going to be about the same quality. VOIP has been pretty much standardized.

there is some indication that the quality will be better than skype. Knowing google and they way they operate I think that they will break down some of the barriers of skype, such as the limit on the number of people that can have a conversation.

At the moment google does not offer calls to landline phones (which does not bother me).

This also works on linux using gaim. I think you have to get gaim-vv to add voice capability. Gaim -vv is a "friendly fork of the gaim project to concentrate on video and voice support".

Gaim-vv
Gaim instructions

I'll have to give this a try when I get time.

I like Google Talk. What will come out next... webspace?

Googletalk is nice, the talk function is good.. IMO better than skype

What will come out next... webspace
I hope so. They might even give us 2+GB of space (like their emial)

That would be great! Is this just a rumor or are they really going to do this in the future?

1. What is Port 5222 and why is it important for Google Talk?

Port 5222 is the standard port used for the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP), which is the communication protocol used by Google Talk. This port allows for secure and reliable communication between clients and servers.

2. How do I get started with Google Talk?

To get started with Google Talk, you will need to first create a Google account. Once you have an account, you can access Google Talk through your web browser or by downloading the Google Talk application. From there, you can add contacts and start communicating with them.

3. Is Google Talk secure to use?

Yes, Google Talk uses industry-standard security protocols such as TLS and SSL to ensure your communication and personal information are protected. Additionally, Google constantly updates their security measures to keep your data safe.

4. Can I use Google Talk on my mobile device?

Yes, Google Talk is available on both Android and iOS devices. You can download the Google Talk app from the respective app stores and sign in with your Google account to access your contacts and conversations.

5. Is Google Talk still supported by Google?

No, Google Talk was discontinued in 2017 and has been replaced by Google Hangouts. However, you can still access your old Google Talk conversations and contacts through the Hangouts app or through Gmail.