1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses GPA of Upper Division & Lower Division courses and M.S degree

1. Jun 11, 2007 #1
    I just graduated from a University. I was in Mechanical Engineering major. My overall GPA is 3.5. However, I have some problems with my Lower-level division courses. While I was in Freshman and Sophomore years, I had some Ds, Fs and W in some Math and G.E subjects.
    I did very very well in my Junior and Senior years. Can these grades of D,F be serious barriers to me by the time I go to Top Graduate Universities for my M.S degree or I apply for a job? I think that they look at everything even though Upper Division courses are more important.

Is there anyone who have the same experience as me? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2007 #2
    Those lower division grades won't be a problem. For jobs, a 3.5 is absolutely fine. For graduate school, assuming that you will have good recommendation letters and you do well on the GREs, you'll get into a good school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?