GPA of Upper Division & Lower Division courses and M.S degree

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
Leo S
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I just graduated from a University. I was in Mechanical Engineering major. My overall GPA is 3.5. However, I have some problems with my Lower-level division courses. While I was in Freshman and Sophomore years, I had some Ds, Fs and W in some Math and G.E subjects.
I did very very well in my Junior and Senior years. Can these grades of D,F be serious barriers to me by the time I go to Top Graduate Universities for my M.S degree or I apply for a job? I think that they look at everything even though Upper Division courses are more important.

Is there anyone who have the same experience as me? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Those lower division grades won't be a problem. For jobs, a 3.5 is absolutely fine. For graduate school, assuming that you will have good recommendation letters and you do well on the GREs, you'll get into a good school.