GR & Time Dilation: Solve Satellite Orbit Problem

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem regarding a satellite in circular orbit around the Earth and the comparison of time rates between a clock on the satellite and a clock at the South Pole on Earth. The formula for finding the rate is given and the attempt at solving the problem is discussed, taking into account the orbital velocity and the Lorentz factor. The correct calculation for the ratio of time rates is given as well as the approximate form for the Lorentz factor and the "gravitational" effect.
Lorna
I am sorry for posting this problem again. I posted it in introductory physics and someone mensioned it might not be an introductory physics problem. Any way I still don't have an answer to it so thought of asking you all, thanks.

Homework Statement

A satellite is in circular orbit of radius r about the Earth (Radius R, mass M). Astandard clock C on the satellite is compared with an identical clock C0 at the south pole on Earth. Show that the ratio of the rate of the orbiting clock to that of the clock on Earth is approximately:

1+(GM/Rc^2)-(3GM/2rc^2).

Note that the orbiting clock is faster only if r > 3/2 R, ir if r-R>3184 km.

Homework Equations

--------------

The formula to find the rate is : 1+delta (potential)/c^2
so I have to find the diffrence between the potential

The Attempt at a Solution

potential on Earth = -GM/R
potential of object in orbit = -GM/r

diffrence = GM/R-GM/r

answer should be : GM/R-3GM/2r --- so my answer is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Lorna said:

Homework Statement

A satellite is in circular orbit of radius r about the Earth (Radius R, mass M). Astandard clock C on the satellite is compared with an identical clock C0 at the south pole on Earth. Show that the ratio of the rate of the orbiting clock to that of the clock on Earth is approximately:

1+(GM/Rc^2)-(3GM/2rc^2).

Note that the orbiting clock is faster only if r > 3/2 R, ir if r-R>3184 km.

I think I smell the rat. Don't forget that the satellite is also in motion relative to the Earth's surface. What is the orbital velocity at radius r? What is the time dilation effect for that velocity (as a linear approximation)? [I thought it seemed odd that the orbiting clock was faster only above a certain altitude... Note that the standard clock is at the South Pole: what is the linear speed of the clock there?]

Last edited:
orbital v = (GM/r)^1/2

so do we add 1/2 m v^2 + GmM/r = 3/2 G mM/r ~ 3/2 GM/r ? and then
delta (phi) = 3/2 G M/r - GM/R? If that's correct then I missed up with the signs.

You don't add the terms as such. Your calculation for the ratio of "time rates" at radius r is correct (to first order). This would give you the rate for a clock stationary with respect to the Earth's center (or the clock at the South Pole).

You would now multiply this rate by the Lorentz factor, gamma, for a clock moving at the orbital velocity with respect to Earth's center. What will that factor look like? If you use the binomial approximation, what is this factor approximately? You would then multiply this binomial with the binomial approximation you have for the "gravitational" effect (and only keep the "low order" terms).

1. What is general relativity and how does it relate to time dilation?

General relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between gravity and the curvature of space and time. According to this theory, the closer an object is to a massive body, the slower time will pass for that object due to the curvature of space-time caused by the gravitational pull.

2. Can you explain the concept of time dilation in simpler terms?

Time dilation is the phenomenon in which time moves slower for objects that are in motion or in a strong gravitational field compared to those that are stationary or in a weaker gravitational field. This means that time is not constant and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity.

3. How does time dilation affect satellite orbits?

Satellites in orbit experience time dilation due to their high speeds and the Earth's gravitational pull. This means that time moves slower for the satellite compared to an observer on Earth. This effect is accounted for in satellite orbit calculations to ensure the accuracy of their positioning and timing systems.

4. Why is it important to account for time dilation in satellite orbit calculations?

Time dilation can cause discrepancies in satellite orbit calculations if not accounted for. This can lead to errors in timing and positioning, which are crucial for functions such as GPS and satellite communication. Therefore, it is important to consider time dilation in these calculations to ensure their accuracy.

5. Are there any practical applications of time dilation and general relativity?

Yes, there are many practical applications of time dilation and general relativity. GPS systems, for example, rely on the accurate measurement of time and the effects of time dilation must be accounted for in their calculations. Additionally, time dilation has been observed in experiments such as the Hafele-Keating experiment, which confirmed the predictions of general relativity.