1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grade 12 hwk help

1. Feb 12, 2004 #1
    Hi guys,

I need some help with part C of the question. I've already done the other 2 parts and shall post my solution to parts a and b soon. But in the meantime if any1 can get me started with c....

Car A travelling at 100km/hr begins to accelerate in order to pass another car travelling at 100 km/hr. Car A accelerates until it reaches a velocity of 130 km/hr which takes 4.5 s.

a) What is the acceleration of car A?
    b) At the end of Car A's acceleration, how far in front of the other car is it?
    c) If an oncoming car is travelling at 110km/hr, how far would it have to be from car A when it begins its acceleration.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm frankly not exactly sure I understand what part c is asking. Is the other car accelerating? What does it mean "how far does it have to be from car A?" How far does it have to be to do what? I don't understand the question.

- Warren

4. Feb 12, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Chroot, my interpretation of C is this: car A is just able to get back to its correct side of the road without hitting the oncoming car.
    Assuming that, how far from A must this oncoming car (going at a steady 110 km/hr) be at the time A starts accelerating.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?