Grade 12 HWK Help: Acceleration of Car A

• Thread starter matrix_anki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grade 12
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two cars, one accelerating to pass the other. The first two parts of the question ask for the acceleration of the first car and how far ahead it is at the end of its acceleration. The third part asks for the distance between the first car and an oncoming car traveling at a steady speed of 110 km/hr when the first car begins accelerating. There is some confusion about the third part of the question, but it is clarified that the distance is referring to how close the oncoming car can be without causing an accident.
matrix_anki
Hi guys,

I need some help with part C of the question. I've already done the other 2 parts and shall post my solution to parts a and b soon. But in the meantime if any1 can get me started with c...

Car A traveling at 100km/hr begins to accelerate in order to pass another car traveling at 100 km/hr. Car A accelerates until it reaches a velocity of 130 km/hr which takes 4.5 s.

a) What is the acceleration of car A?
b) At the end of Car A's acceleration, how far in front of the other car is it?
c) If an oncoming car is traveling at 110km/hr, how far would it have to be from car A when it begins its acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm frankly not exactly sure I understand what part c is asking. Is the other car accelerating? What does it mean "how far does it have to be from car A?" How far does it have to be to do what? I don't understand the question.

- Warren

Chroot, my interpretation of C is this: car A is just able to get back to its correct side of the road without hitting the oncoming car.
Assuming that, how far from A must this oncoming car (going at a steady 110 km/hr) be at the time A starts accelerating.

What is acceleration and how is it measured?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) using the formula a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is change in velocity, and Δt is change in time.

How is acceleration related to the motion of Car A?

Acceleration is directly related to the motion of Car A. The faster Car A accelerates, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, if Car A decelerates, its acceleration will decrease.

What factors can affect the acceleration of Car A?

The acceleration of Car A can be affected by various factors such as the engine power, weight of the car, friction between the tires and the road, and air resistance. The condition of the road and the skill of the driver can also play a role in the acceleration of Car A.

How does the acceleration of Car A differ from its velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving in a particular direction, while acceleration tells us how quickly the object's velocity is changing.

Can the acceleration of Car A be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of Car A can be negative. This indicates that the car is decelerating or slowing down. Negative acceleration is also known as deceleration or retardation.