Gragging a board across surfaces with different frictions

In summary: So the net work W done by friction in pulling the board directly from region 1 to region 2 is equal to "In summary, the net work W done by friction in pulling the board directly from region 1 to region 2 can be expressed as (mu1+mu2)*M*g*L/2."
ph123
"A uniform board of length L and mass M lies near a boundary that separates two regions. In region 1, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the board and the surface is (mu1), and in region 2, the coefficient is (mu2). The positive direction is from the region with mu1 to the region with mu2. Find the net work W done by friction in pulling the board directly from region 1 to region 2. Assume that the board moves at constant velocity. Express the net work in terms of M, L, g, mu1 and mu2"

In my force formula, x is equal to the amount of the board in region 2 (with mu2).

F = mu1(mg(1-(x/L))) + mu2(mg(x/L)

I know I'm supposed to integrate this with respect to L (or am I). Unfortunately, I suck at calculus. This is what I got, sorta.

((1/2)((mu1*g)/L)L^2) + ((1/2)((mu2*g)/L)L^2

Again, I suck at calc. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be integrating with respect to x (not L as you said). x going from 0 -> L. And you are doing pretty well. But you forgot to integrate the 1 in the first term of your force expression.

((1/2)(x-((mu1*g)/L))L^2) + (1/2)((mu2*g)/L)L^2

the 1 should just become an x, no?

Evaluate the x between 0 and L. Just like you did the x^2 terms. And your x should be inside of the m*g*mu. And OUTSIDE of the 1/2. Do it again. Carefully this time.

Last edited:
well, justguessing, but:

[((mu1+mu1)Mg)/L]*(1/2)L^2

I don't think you're guessing. You can cancel one of the L's too. So you just average the two mu's. Makes sense, right?

yeah, the board spends the same amount of time in each region so that does make sense.

1. How does the friction of different surfaces affect the movement of a board?

The friction of different surfaces can greatly impact the movement of a board. Surfaces with higher friction, such as carpet, will require more force to move the board compared to surfaces with lower friction, such as ice. This is because higher friction surfaces create more resistance against the board, making it harder to slide.

2. Is it easier to drag a board across surfaces with similar friction or different friction?

It is generally easier to drag a board across surfaces with similar friction. This is because when surfaces have similar friction, the board will experience a more consistent resistance, making it easier to maintain a steady movement. When surfaces have different friction, the board may encounter sudden changes in resistance, making it more difficult to control the movement.

3. How can I reduce the friction between the board and the surface?

There are a few ways to reduce friction between the board and the surface. One option is to use a lubricant, such as oil or wax, to decrease the amount of friction between the two surfaces. Another option is to use wheels or rollers on the bottom of the board, which can reduce the amount of surface area in contact with the ground and therefore decrease friction.

4. What factors can affect the friction between a board and a surface?

The friction between a board and a surface can be affected by various factors, including the texture and material of the surface, the weight of the board, and any additional substances, such as water or debris, that may be present on the surface. In addition, factors such as the angle of the surface and the speed at which the board is being dragged can also impact friction.

5. How can I increase the friction between a board and a surface?

To increase the friction between a board and a surface, you can use materials with higher coefficients of friction, such as sandpaper, on the bottom of the board. This will create more resistance against the surface and make it easier to control the movement of the board. Additionally, increasing the weight of the board can also increase the friction between the two surfaces.