Graph a line through the origin that is parallel to the graph of x+y=10

In summary, the conversation was about finding the slope of lines passing through different pairs of points, determining if the line rises, falls, is horizontal, or vertical, and finding the value of r for a given slope. It also mentioned graphing lines that are perpendicular or parallel to other lines, and how to do so using equations and formulas. The final question asks for clarification and understanding of the previous concepts.
modeman
I heel help with my math, so if you could do the work for me, no just kidding! But seriously, I need help.

Find the slope of the line that passes through eash pair of points. Then determine whether the line rises to the right, falls to the right, is horizontal, or is vertical.

18. (6,1) (8,-4)

20. (-6,-5) (4,1)

22. (2.5,3) (1,-9)

Determine the value of r so that a line through the points with the given coordinates has the given slope.

36. Graph a line through (-4,1) that is perpendicular to a line whose slope is -3/2

38. Graph a line through the orgin that is parallel to the graph of x+y=10

40. One line has a slope of 0 and another has an undefined, but they both pass through (-3,-3). Graph the lines.

How do I do these? What are the formulas for these and what do the last three mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
modeman said:
Find the slope of the line that passes through eash pair of points. Then determine whether the line rises to the right, falls to the right, is horizontal, or is vertical.

18. (6,1) (8,-4)

20. (-6,-5) (4,1)

22. (2.5,3) (1,-9)

The slope is given by the difference of the y-values divided by the difference of the x-values.

[tex]m = \frac{{y_2 - y_1 }}
{{x_2 - x_1 }} = \frac{{\Delta y}}
{{\Delta x}}[/tex]

modeman said:
Determine the value of r so that a line through the points with the given coordinates has the given slope.

36. Graph a line through (-4,1) that is perpendicular to a line whose slope is -3/2

38. Graph a line through the orgin that is parallel to the graph of x+y=10

40. One line has a slope of 0 and another has an undefined, but they both pass through (-3,-3). Graph the lines.

How do I do these? What are the formulas for these and what do the last three mean?
The equation of a line through a point [itex]\left( {x_1 ,y_1 } \right)[/itex] is given by [itex]y - y_1 = m\left( {x - x_1 } \right)[/itex].

Two slopes are perpendicular if [itex]m_1 m_2 = - 1 \Leftrightarrow m_1 = - \frac{1}{{m_2 }}[/itex]

Two lines are parallel if their slopes are the same.

Try to understand what that last question means :smile:

Please don't double post! http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7638

1. How do you graph a line through the origin?

To graph a line through the origin, you need to plot the point (0,0) on a coordinate plane. This represents the origin. Then, using a ruler or straight edge, draw a straight line passing through the origin.

2. What does it mean for a line to be parallel?

Two lines are parallel if they have the same slope and will never intersect. This means that they will always remain the same distance apart from each other.

3. How do you find the slope of a line given its equation?

To find the slope of a line given its equation, first put the equation in slope-intercept form, y=mx+b. Then, the slope will be the coefficient of x, m.

4. Can you graph a line parallel to x+y=10 without knowing its slope?

Yes, you can graph a line parallel to x+y=10 without knowing its slope. This is because any line that is parallel to x+y=10 will have the same slope of -1. Therefore, you can graph the line by plotting the point (0,10) on a coordinate plane and then drawing a line with a slope of -1 passing through that point.

5. Can a line through the origin be parallel to a line that is not through the origin?

No, a line through the origin can only be parallel to another line through the origin. This is because a line through the origin has a slope of 0, and any other line with a different slope will intersect it at some point.