Finding the Limit of f(x) as x Approaches Infinity

In summary, the student's calculator gave an error message when attempting to integrate the equation for the limit of the function f(x) as it approaches infinity. However, by graphing the function and noting that y is approaching .93, the student determined that the limit is either 1 or less.
gingermom
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This may not be the correct place to ask but the problem gives a graph of f'(x)=e^-x^2 with a particular solution f(0)=0. It then asks you to find the limit of f(x) as it approaches infinity using a graphing calculator

options
inf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think I would have to integrate in order to solve this - but I have no idea how to integrate this. My Tnspire comes up with an error message. By fudging I am guessing the answer is .886, but that won't help me if I have to do this on an exam. It is obvious from the graph that it is 1 or less. If someone can point me to some instructions or something I would be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

##erf(x) = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{0}^{x} e^{-t^2} dt##

Okay - I get the right side, but have never seen the er f(x). Is this problem overkill for high school Calc AB or have I really missed something. If I plug that is I get .999991, so would that make the limit 1?

gingermom said:
I would think I would have to integrate in order to solve this - but I have no idea how to integrate this. My Tnspire comes up with an error message. By fudging I am guessing the answer is .886, but that won't help me if I have to do this on an exam.
That's a good estimate. The exact value is ##\sqrt{\pi}/2##. However, it's not at all trivial to calculate analytically. Here is one proof:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral

Since this is posed as a graphing calculator problem, I'm guessing that 0.886 is a perfectly reasonable answer.

By the way, your calculator will probably like the expression better if you introduce some parentheses: e^-(x^2)

Thanks - I was thinking I needed to integrate the equation in order to determine the limit. I did graph f '(x) = e^-(x^2). If I graph that in the area for slope fields, I get similar slope field, but when I run through the tables it appears y is approaching .93 and that is not one of the options. I think I am missing something. Exactly how am I supposed to use a slope field to determine a limit without knowing the original equation?

Graphing erf

Well some points of interest are known from the derivatives:

Since [itex]f^{\prime}(x)=e^{-x^2}\in\left( 0,1\right]\forall x[/itex] and, more to the point, [itex]f^{\prime}(x)\neq 0[/itex] so [itex]f(x)[/itex] is always increasing and has no critical points. Furthermore, [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\pm\infty}f^{\prime}(x)=\lim_{x\rightarrow\pm\infty}e^{-x^2}= 0[/itex] so the curve [itex]f(x)[/itex] has tangents whose slopes approach 0 as [itex]x\rightarrow\pm\infty[/itex], so, if [itex]x=\pm\infty[/itex] were points, they would be the global maximum (at [itex]x=+\infty[/itex]) and global minimum (at [itex]x=-\infty[/itex]), respectively.

Now on to [itex]f^{\prime\prime}(x)=-2xe^{-x^2}[/itex]: setting equal to 0 gives x=0 as the only inflection point (a point where f(x) changes concavity) and f''(x) has the opposite sign as x, so f'' indicates that f(x) is "concave up" (think how [itex]y=x^2[/itex] is bowed) for [itex]x\in \left( -\infty , 0 \right) [/itex] and that f(x) is "concave down" (think how [itex]y=-x^2[/itex] is bowed) for [itex]x\in\left( 0,+\infty \right) [/itex].

It should be obvious that f(0)=0, and we also so have the horizontal asymptotes [itex]y=\lim_{x\rightarrow\pm\infty}f(x)=\pm\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}[/itex] (I stole this from a previous post by jbunniii, and he's right about the proof).

Put all this together and sketch f(x). plot note that this plot is normalized by the scale factor of [itex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}[/itex].

Last edited:
Thanks to all who responded. The question I had was how to get the 2√pi as the horizontal asymtotes from the data given. I now realize that erf(x) is not just an error but an actual function. Really hate it when they quiz us over "stretch stuff" that we had no real way of knowing. Extra thanks to jbunniii for verifying my "fudge guestimate" was a good answer. Still may be some function on my graphing calculator to give me the limit that I haven't figured out, but at least I understand it.

Related to Finding the Limit of f(x) as x Approaches Infinity

1. What does it mean to find the limit of a function as x approaches infinity?

When we say "the limit of f(x) as x approaches infinity," we are referring to the value that f(x) approaches as x gets larger and larger without bound. In other words, we are looking at what happens to the function as x goes towards infinity, but never actually reaches it.

2. How do you find the limit of a function as x approaches infinity?

To find the limit of a function as x approaches infinity, we can evaluate the function at increasingly large values of x. If the function approaches a specific value as x gets larger and larger, then that value is the limit. If the function does not approach a specific value, or if it oscillates between multiple values, then the limit does not exist.

3. What are some common techniques for evaluating limits as x approaches infinity?

Some common techniques for evaluating limits as x approaches infinity include using algebraic manipulation, factoring, and recognizing patterns. In some cases, we can also use L'Hopital's rule, which involves taking the derivatives of the numerator and denominator and evaluating the limit again.

4. Why is finding the limit of a function as x approaches infinity important?

Finding the limit of a function as x approaches infinity can help us understand the behavior of the function at extremely large values of x. This can be useful in applications such as modeling population growth, predicting trends, and understanding the long-term behavior of physical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the limit of a function as x approaches infinity?

Yes, there are some limitations to finding the limit of a function as x approaches infinity. For example, we cannot use this method to find limits at finite values or for functions that oscillate or diverge at infinity. Also, it is important to note that the limit may not always exist, even if the function appears to approach a certain value as x gets larger.