Graph of Elevator's Velocity: Understanding Displacement and Distance Traveled

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving distance, displacement, and average velocity. The person is having trouble understanding part (c) and (d) of the problem. They question why the distance from t=12-16 seconds is -20 m instead of +20 m and also ask for help with their attempted solution for part (d). The conversation ends with an explanation that the average velocity cannot be calculated using the given equation because the acceleration is not constant.
reminiscent

Homework Statement

QQ9OQ0S.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is more of a help with understanding problem. I understand a) and b), but for c), I don't understand:
1. Why is the distance from t=12-16 -20 m and not +20 m? Isn't there a positive slope? I thought this question was asking for distance traveled, not displacement?
2. My attempt at c) was to use the equation y(t)-y0 = 1/2(v0+v(t))t, but my answer was 325 m. y0=+75 m, v0=20 m/s, v(t)=5 m/s, and t=20s. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Part (c) asks for distance traveled, but part (d) asks for the final position.

TSny said:
Part (c) asks for distance traveled, but part (d) asks for the final position.
So what did I do wrong in the equation I set up in d)?

reminiscent said:
y(t)-y0 = 1/2(v0+v(t))t

The average velocity is not 1/2(v0+v(t)) for part (d) because the acceleration is not constant over the entire time interval.

TSny said:
The average velocity is not 1/2(v0+v(t)) for part (d) because the acceleration is not constant over the entire time interval.
Oh okay, I understand now. Thanks. But what about the distance from t=12-16 seconds? Why is it -20 m and not +20 m?

Related to Graph of Elevator's Velocity: Understanding Displacement and Distance Traveled

1. What is a graph of an elevator's velocity?

A graph of an elevator's velocity shows the rate at which the elevator is changing its position, or the speed at which it is moving up or down. It is typically measured in meters per second.

2. How is the velocity of an elevator represented on a graph?

The velocity of an elevator is represented on a graph by plotting the time on the x-axis and the velocity on the y-axis. The resulting line on the graph shows the changes in velocity over time.

3. What does a positive velocity on an elevator's graph indicate?

A positive velocity on an elevator's graph indicates that the elevator is moving upwards. The steeper the slope of the line, the faster the elevator is moving.

4. What does a negative velocity on an elevator's graph indicate?

A negative velocity on an elevator's graph indicates that the elevator is moving downwards. The steeper the slope of the line, the faster the elevator is descending.

5. How can a graph of an elevator's velocity be used to analyze its motion?

A graph of an elevator's velocity can be used to analyze its motion by examining the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a faster velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a slower velocity. The area under the line also represents the distance traveled by the elevator, which can be useful in determining its position at different points in time.