Graph Theory - Max. Independent set algorithm

In summary, the task is to design a polynomial time greedy algorithm for finding a maximum independent set in a graph. However, it appears that this may not be possible based on existing research. The problem statement may be interpreted differently, potentially requiring an algorithm that finds an independent set where no additional vertices can be added. Further clarification may be needed.
oneamp
Graph Theory -- Max. Independent set algorithm

Homework Statement

Design a polynomial time greedy algorithm to compute a maximum independent set for a graph. Explain the algorithm and compute T_w(n).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My terse and informal Internet research indicates that a maximum independent set cannot be calculated in polynomial time. For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_set_(graph_theory)#Finding_maximum_independent_sets

What could my teacher possibly want? Do I need to design an algorithm that nobody else to date has done? I guess not. I think I misunderstand the question. Can someone help me understand what he wants?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe "maximum independent set" is not meant in that way, and you are supposed to find an algorithm that finds an independent set where no other vertices can be added (should be easy in n^2). Just a guess, I don't know how the problem statement is meant.

What is Graph Theory?

Graph Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of graphs, which are mathematical structures used to model relationships between objects.

What is a Maximal Independent Set?

A Maximal Independent Set (MIS) is a subset of vertices in a graph where no two vertices are connected by an edge. In other words, it is a set of vertices that are not adjacent to each other.

What is the Maximal Independent Set Algorithm?

The Maximal Independent Set Algorithm is a method used to find the largest possible MIS in a given graph. It works by systematically adding vertices to the MIS until no more vertices can be added without violating the independence property.

How does the Maximal Independent Set Algorithm work?

The algorithm starts by selecting an arbitrary vertex as the starting point. It then checks if this vertex is part of the MIS. If not, it is added to the MIS. Next, all of its adjacent vertices are removed from consideration. This process is repeated until all vertices have been checked.

What is the time complexity of the Maximal Independent Set Algorithm?

The time complexity of the Maximal Independent Set Algorithm depends on the type of graph being used. In general, it has a time complexity of O(n^2), where n is the number of vertices in the graph. However, for certain types of graphs, such as trees or planar graphs, the time complexity can be improved to O(n).