Graphing Distance and Time to find Acceleration

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the acceleration of a cart rolling down an inclined plane. They are given distances (20, 40, 60, and 80 cm) and must take the natural log of one or both parts of the data to create a straight line in the graph and find the slope to find the acceleration.
Terrence

Homework Statement

I have to do an experiment tomorrow, in which we roll a cart down an inclined plane to find the acceleration of the cart. We are given set distances (20, 40, 60, and 80 cm) and will be told to time how long it takes the cart to go said distances. Once we have this information, we must create a graph to find the acceleration of the cart.

The catch is, we have to take the Natural Log (ln) of one, or both, parts of the data to create a straight line in our graph, and use the slope of that line to find the acceleration.

Homework Equations

D = .5*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot figure out which side of the equation to take the ln of. I believe its the distance side, making ln(d) = .5*a*t^2, but I'm not sure.

Since I have not yet done the experiment I don't have any times to give (sorry :frown:) but I'm pretty sure that isn't required for what I'm asking.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea why you would take ln of anything with this.

You're graphing d=mt^2...m=0.5a.

So you would want to graph d v. t^2 (d is y-axis, t^2 is x-axis) to give a straight line and take its slope.

Terrence said:
I cannot figure out which side of the equation to take the ln of.

Anything that you do to one side of the equation, you must also do to the other side. This is always the case. Otherwise the two sides will no longer be equal.

So, you have to take the natural log of both sides of the equation.

Apphysicist - Yeah that makes sense... I thought about it, but for some reason couldn't get ln out of my head. We've used it the most throughout this course. Thanks a lot.

cepheid - Thats what I was thinking too, which is why I was having so much trouble with this lol. I dunno, guess I just wasn't thinking straight. Thanks a lot guys.

I would recommend taking the natural log of both sides of the equation D = .5*a*t^2. This will result in ln(D) = ln(.5*a*t^2). By taking the natural log of both sides, you will be able to create a linear relationship between ln(D) and ln(t^2), which will make it easier to calculate the slope and determine the acceleration. Additionally, taking the natural log of both sides allows you to use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation and solve for the acceleration. I would also suggest including error bars on your graph to account for any uncertainties in your measurements. Good luck with your experiment!

1. How do I graph distance and time to find acceleration?

To graph distance and time to find acceleration, you will need to plot the distance on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The slope of the line on the graph will represent the acceleration.

2. What is the formula for calculating acceleration using distance and time?

The formula for calculating acceleration using distance and time is: acceleration = change in velocity / change in time. In other words, acceleration is equal to the final velocity minus the initial velocity, divided by the time it took for the change in velocity to occur.

3. Can you have negative acceleration?

Yes, negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, occurs when an object is slowing down. This can be represented on a distance-time graph as a downward slope.

4. How do I interpret a distance-time graph to determine acceleration?

To interpret a distance-time graph to determine acceleration, you can look at the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a higher acceleration, while a flatter slope represents a lower acceleration. A horizontal line on the graph indicates that there is no acceleration (constant velocity).

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Some real-life examples of acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going up or down a hill, a ball being thrown into the air, and a rocket taking off into space. In all of these examples, there is a change in velocity over time, resulting in acceleration.