Graphing trig functions without calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a first-year analysis course, asking to sketch the graph of a function and determine its amplitude, frequency, and phase. The person asking for help is struggling with remembering how to do this without calculus, but they do recognize that the function has a period of pi and two different amplitudes. The conversation then references a trigonometric identities list and a resource explaining the concept in terms of a trig identity. Lastly, the final answer is given as 2cos(2x-pi/6), with an amplitude of 2, frequency of 1/pi, and phase shift of pi/12 to the right.
nietzsche

Homework Statement

I'm in a first-year analysis course, and this question was given by my prof. as practice for her midterm test.

"Sketch the graph of the function

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
f(x) = \text{sin} 2x + \sqrt{3} \text{cos} 2x
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Determine the amplitude, the frequency and the phase of [tex]f(x)[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's been a really long time since I've done graphing transformations of trig functions without calculus, so I truthfully don't remember how to do this.

I can see they both have period pi, and sin(2x) has amplitude 1 and sqrt3 cos(2x) has amplitude of sqrt3.

I don't know how to determine the highest point on the graph (amplitude), and I don't know how to determine the phase.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: Graphing trig functions without calculus

1. What is the purpose of graphing trig functions without calculus?

Graphing trig functions without calculus allows us to visualize the behavior and patterns of trigonometric functions without having to use complicated mathematical equations.

2. Can you graph trig functions without knowing calculus?

Yes, it is possible to graph trig functions without knowing calculus. The process involves plotting points based on the values of the trigonometric function and connecting them to create a smooth curve.

3. What are the key elements to consider when graphing trig functions without calculus?

The key elements to consider when graphing trig functions without calculus are the amplitude, period, and phase shift. These parameters can be determined by examining the equation of the trigonometric function.

4. How do you determine the domain and range of a trigonometric function graphed without calculus?

The domain and range of a trigonometric function graphed without calculus can be determined by looking at the horizontal and vertical extent of the graph. The horizontal extent represents the domain, while the vertical extent represents the range.

5. Can you use technology to graph trig functions without calculus?

Yes, there are many online graphing calculators and software programs that can be used to graph trig functions without calculus. These tools can help to create accurate and visually appealing graphs.

Back