Graphs - Increasing/Decreasing Intervals

In summary, the conversation discusses two graphs, f'(x) and f(x), and their behavior on certain intervals. The first question asks about the intervals on which f(x) increases, while the second question asks about the intervals where the graph of f'(x) is concave down. The equations and attempts at solutions are not provided, but it is mentioned that the incorrect answers were given for both questions. It is noted that the second question may be referring to the same graph as the first, but this is not explicitly stated.
ceity

Homework Statement

#1: The graph of f' is shown. Find the intervals on which f increases.

#2: The graph of f'(x) is shown. Give the interval(s) where the graph in concave down.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

#1: Well, I thought it was (-infinity, infinity), but I got incorrect. X and Y are both increasing.

#2: I got (0, infinity) incorrect, which confuses me, because I thought concave down was like an upside down U.

Attachments

• #1.JPG.jpg
    #1.JPG.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 410
  • #2.JPG.jpg
    #2.JPG.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
ceity said:

Homework Statement

#1: The graph of f' is shown. Find the intervals on which f increases.

#2: The graph of f'(x) is shown. Give the interval(s) where the graph in concave down.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

#1: Well, I thought it was (-infinity, infinity), but I got incorrect. X and Y are both increasing.

#2: I got (0, infinity) incorrect, which confuses me, because I thought concave down was like an upside down U.

The problem says those are the graphs of f'(x) and then the first questions asks about where f(x) is increasing, not f'(x). How can you tell if f(x) is increasing from knowing f'(x)? It's likely the second one means the same though they don't spell out which graph is supposed to be concave. It also might be a stretch claiming you know what the graph looks like near infinity when they are only showing you a small part.

1. What are increasing and decreasing intervals on a graph?

Increasing and decreasing intervals on a graph refer to the sections of the graph where the function is either consistently rising or falling. In other words, the function is either increasing or decreasing within a certain range of the x-axis.

2. How do you determine the increasing and decreasing intervals on a graph?

To determine the increasing and decreasing intervals on a graph, you can look for patterns in the slope of the graph. If the slope is positive, the function is increasing, and if the slope is negative, the function is decreasing. You can also find the intervals by calculating the derivative of the function and identifying where it is positive or negative.

3. What does the slope of a graph represent?

The slope of a graph represents the rate of change of the function. In other words, it shows how much the y-value changes for every unit change in the x-value. A positive slope indicates an increasing function, while a negative slope indicates a decreasing function.

4. Can a function have both increasing and decreasing intervals?

Yes, a function can have both increasing and decreasing intervals. This happens when the function has a local maximum or minimum point. The function is increasing before the maximum point and decreasing after, or vice versa for a minimum point.

5. How can increasing and decreasing intervals be useful in real-life situations?

In real-life situations, increasing and decreasing intervals can help us understand the behavior of variables and make predictions. For example, in sales data, identifying increasing intervals can help businesses determine when their sales are growing, while decreasing intervals can indicate when sales are declining. This information can be used to make decisions on marketing strategies and inventory management.