Gravitation and Archimedes principle as a spring?

In summary: I think is happening)In summary, the two forces combined together have the potential energy of a spring with a constant 'K' as a combination of some sort of the two forces.
uriwolln
Hey all,

I have seen that these two forces combined together have the potential energy of a spring with a constant 'K' as a combination of some sort of the two forces.
I have no idea how am I to find this K.
All I know
Mgh + ρVgh gives the potential energy of a given system let's say.

help?

Physics news on Phys.org
uriwolln said:
Hey all,

I have seen that these two forces combined together have the potential energy of a spring with a constant 'K' as a combination of some sort of the two forces.
I have no idea how am I to find this K.
All I know
Mgh + ρVgh gives the potential energy of a given system let's say.

help?

Can you try to re-phrase what you are having difficulty with please?

The problem was:
A cylinder is placed inside water, and it is in equilibrium when half of the cylinder height is submerged. So I Know there is the archimedes principle which causes a force upwards and then there is gravity downwards. This problem was part of question somewhere, but in the explanation of the answer concerning the energies of the system when it is in motion, they somehow did not use mgh of either the ρVgh. They did a combination of those to act as a spring, which I did not get a clear answer on how to do that.

hi uriwolln! :smile:

if the restoring force is proportional to the distance from the equilibrium position,

the the equation is exactly the same as the equation for a spring :wink:

:)
Did not think of it this way.
But then, what will be 'k' equal to?
How do I work the algebra for it?
and will the potential energy of it all will indeed be k(x^2)/2?

uriwolln said:
But then, what will be 'k' equal to?
How do I work the algebra for it?

try it and see :wink:

So let's see:
kx=mg - ρVg ==> k = (mg - ρVg)/2 ?
and then potential energy: k(x^2)/2?

uriwolln said:
kx=mg - ρVg

but V depends on x :redface:

true... forgot that for a sec... but is this the equation I should go for?
K being a function of x? Then the whole potential energy is going wrong, because K is not constant, or does it? ( I think K should be constant to use k(x^2)/2)

erm :redface: … first, find the equation

then analyse it! :wink:

Here goes:

Kx = (pir2H)g - ρ(pir2(H-x)g/2)
K = (pir2Hg/2x) + ρ(pir2g)/2

uriwolln said:
Kx = …

no, you mean mx'' = …

carry on from there :wink:

mx?
why am I meaning mx? m as in mass? and x as displacement?
Then where does K come in?

(I am not being disrespectful I hope, I really liked your comment, which made me laugh, because I really do not know why should I use mx)

no, mx''

(ie md2x/dt2)

ρcpir2Hx'' = ρcpir2Hg - ρl(pir2(H/2 - x)
x'' + x(ρlg/ρcH) = g(1-ρl/2ρc)
Which x then I know is oscillating.
But then where does K come in?

uriwolln said:
x'' + x(ρlg/ρcH) = g(1-ρl/2ρc)

you have x'' = -Ax + B

if it was just x'' = -Ax, what would k be? :wink:

then K should be:
k = (ρlg/ρcH)
So potential energy is as well 0.5Kx2?

uriwolln said:
then K should be:
k = (ρlg/ρcH)

yes :smile:, but I'm not sure whether you're just guessing :wink:

how did you get rid of the B?
So potential energy is as well 0.5Kx2?

maybe … what's x?

actually I did guess.
Well, I mean, I figured because it was the coefficient of x, then it would be reasonable to assume that, that is K.
X would be the answer for the differential equation I got previous.

uriwolln said:
actually I did guess.

:biggrin:
Well, I mean, I figured because it was the coefficient of x, then it would be reasonable to assume that, that is K.

ok, sensible guess for k :smile:, but it doesn't tell you how to combine it with the distance (in kx or 1/2 kx2) :redface:

when you have x'' = -Ax + B,

rewrite that as (x - B/A)'' - -A(x - B/A) …

now you have it in the same form as the standard spring equation :wink:

AWESOME!
Thanks for that.
Tell me please though, if I did write x to be x - B/A then I think I should be using x - B/A for the potential energy as the x there: 0.5Kx^2. Correct?

Correct. :smile:

x = B/A is the equilibrium position, and all displacements must be measured from that.

(you get the same effect if you take a horizontal spring and place it vertically, with a weight on the end … the new equilibrium position is different from the original equilibrium position, and all displacements must be measured from the new position instead)

Thank you so much tiny!

1. What is the relationship between gravitation and Archimedes principle as a spring?

The relationship between gravitation and Archimedes principle as a spring is that both involve the concept of buoyancy. Gravitation is the force that pulls objects towards each other, while Archimedes principle states that the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

2. How does a spring demonstrate the principles of gravitation and Archimedes?

A spring demonstrates the principles of gravitation and Archimedes by showing the effect of buoyancy on an object. When a spring is submerged in a fluid, it experiences an upward force that is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces, according to Archimedes principle. This upward force counteracts the force of gravity, causing the spring to appear lighter in the fluid.

3. What is the significance of Archimedes principle in relation to buoyancy?

Archimedes principle is significant in relation to buoyancy because it explains the behavior of objects in fluids. It states that the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This principle is used in many real-world applications, such as shipbuilding and designing submarines.

4. How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy according to Archimedes principle?

The density of an object plays a crucial role in its buoyancy, according to Archimedes principle. If an object is less dense than the fluid it is submerged in, it will experience an upward buoyant force and float. However, if the object is more dense, it will sink due to the force of gravity being greater than the buoyant force.

5. Can the principles of gravitation and Archimedes be applied to objects other than springs?

Yes, the principles of gravitation and Archimedes can be applied to objects other than springs. These principles apply to any object submerged in a fluid, including liquids and gases. The buoyant force will always be equal to the weight of the fluid displaced, regardless of the shape or material of the object.