1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation and the Principle of Superposition

1. Nov 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How far from Earth must a space prove be along a line toward the Sun, so that that the Sun's gravitational pull on the probe balances the Earth's pull

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    d1=distance from probe to Earth
    distance from sun to earth = 1.50x10^11 m
    distance from the sun to probe = 1.5x10^11 m - d1
    mass of earth = 5.98x10^24 kg = m2
    mass of sun = 1.99x10^30 kg = m3
    m1 = mass of probe

I set the force on the probe from earth equal to the force on the probe from the sun to get:
    (Gm2m1)/d1^2 = (Gm1m3)/(d1^2-(3.0x10^11)d1+2.25x10^22)

When I solve for d1, I do not get the answer which is 2.6x10^5 Km. It could easily be a math error, but the fact that I have to use such tedious calculations makes me wonder if I am doing the problem correctly, especially as the mass of sun, mass of earth, distance from sun to earth are not given.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2
    what is that equation you are using for the probe-sun distance?
  4. Nov 12, 2007 #3
    just F=Gm1m2/D^2

I plugged in 1.5x10^11 - d1 into D^2
  5. Nov 12, 2007 #4
    i see. i would suggest you make sure you solve the equation carefully as to not make arithmetic errors. i'm pretty sure that's all this is.
  6. Nov 12, 2007 #5
    I do not believe that you are using the equations properly.

I suggest using R_1 to represent the distance between the Earth and satellite and R_2 to represent the distance between the Sun and the satellite.

You seem to be using 1 au-d1 to represent something here. But 1au is not the distance between the SATELLITE and anything; it is the distance between the Earth and Sun only.

Do you see what I mean? You should end up with two unknowns.

7. Nov 12, 2007 #6
    he's doing it correctly actually. the distance between the sun and the probe can be expressed as a difference of the earth-sun distance and the earth-probe distance.
  8. Nov 12, 2007 #7
    I'll double-check. Thanks for the help fliinghier :)
  9. Nov 12, 2007 #8
    Yes I see now. He is using two unknowns, and he eliminated one of them already.

Kudos! It usually takes me two steps to acomplish what you have done in one! I will keep your method in mind for future problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?