Gravitation and the Principle of Superposition

• Thread starter brendan3eb
  • Start date

Homework Statement

How far from Earth must a space prove be along a line toward the Sun, so that that the Sun's gravitational pull on the probe balances the Earth's pull

Homework Equations

F=Gm1m2/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

d1=distance from probe to Earth
distance from sun to earth = 1.50x10^11 m
distance from the sun to probe = 1.5x10^11 m - d1
mass of earth = 5.98x10^24 kg = m2
mass of sun = 1.99x10^30 kg = m3
m1 = mass of probe

I set the force on the probe from earth equal to the force on the probe from the sun to get:
(Gm2m1)/d1^2 = (Gm1m3)/(d1^2-(3.0x10^11)d1+2.25x10^22)

When I solve for d1, I do not get the answer which is 2.6x10^5 Km. It could easily be a math error, but the fact that I have to use such tedious calculations makes me wonder if I am doing the problem correctly, especially as the mass of sun, mass of earth, distance from sun to earth are not given.
(Gm2m1

Answers and Replies

what is that equation you are using for the probe-sun distance?

just F=Gm1m2/D^2

I plugged in 1.5x10^11 - d1 into D^2

i see. i would suggest you make sure you solve the equation carefully as to not make arithmetic errors. i'm pretty sure that's all this is.

just F=Gm1m2/D^2

I plugged in 1.5x10^11 - d1 into D^2
I do not believe that you are using the equations properly.

I suggest using R_1 to represent the distance between the Earth and satellite and R_2 to represent the distance between the Sun and the satellite.

You seem to be using 1 au-d1 to represent something here. But 1au is not the distance between the SATELLITE and anything; it is the distance between the Earth and Sun only.

Do you see what I mean? You should end up with two unknowns.

Casey

he's doing it correctly actually. the distance between the sun and the probe can be expressed as a difference of the earth-sun distance and the earth-probe distance.

I'll double-check. Thanks for the help fliinghier :)

he's doing it correctly actually. the distance between the sun and the probe can be expressed as a difference of the earth-sun distance and the earth-probe distance.
Yes I see now. He is using two unknowns, and he eliminated one of them already.

Kudos! It usually takes me two steps to acomplish what you have done in one! I will keep your method in mind for future problems.

Casey