Gravitational Lensing: Gravity's Effect on Light

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of mass on objects and light in space. It is clarified that light is deflected around a massive object in a similar way that a fast-moving particle would be. The path taken by a particle depends on its velocity relative to the massive object, and the same applies to light. The conversation also mentions Eddington's solar eclipse experiment and the concept of geodesic paths. It is questioned whether the total deflection of light would be the sum of its geodesic path and its acceleration towards the center of mass of the sun, but it is unclear if these are two separate effects or the same.
Rigel84
This is my first (well second if we exclude introduction forums) topic here. I just want to make clear that I am not professional nor involved in field in any way. I am just regular Joe who wants to know more about nature.
I could say that I understand fact that mass distorts space but there is one thing that is unclear to me.

Maybe I understood it wrong but it seems to me that mass effects objects such as asteroids for example and light in different manner.
Gravity "attracts" objects with mass, they get pulled down to planet/star or get slingshoted.
On the other hand light behaves differently, it gets slightly pushed(?) and this is why we can see stars behind certain massive objects in space.

Am I getting something wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rigel84 said:
This is my first (well second if we exclude introduction forums) topic here. I just want to make clear that I am not professional nor involved in field in any way. I am just regular Joe who wants to know more about nature.
I could say that I understand fact that mass distorts space but there is one thing that is unclear to me.

Maybe I understood it wrong but it seems to me that mass effects objects such as asteroids for example and light in different manner.
Gravity "attracts" objects with mass, they get pulled down to planet/star or get slingshoted.
On the other hand light behaves differently, it gets slightly pushed(?) and this is why we can see stars behind certain massive objects in space.

Am I getting something wrong here?

Unfortunately, most of what you said is not correct. Light is deflected around a massive object in a similar way that a fast moving particle would be. Try this, for example:

https://oneminuteastronomer.com/9237/gravitational-lens/

http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic1106c/

Last edited:
Rigel84 said:
...it seems to me that mass effects objects such as asteroids for example and light in different manner...
Actually the local effect (acceleration relative to the big mass) is the same for everything.

A.T. said:
Actually the local effect (acceleration relative to the big mass) is the same for everything.

At least for everything with the same relative velocity.

PeroK said:
Unfortunately, most of what you said is not correct. Light is deflected around a massive object in a similar way that a fast moving particle would be. Try this, for example:

https://oneminuteastronomer.com/9237/gravitational-lens/

http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic1106c/

This is what I was referring to. Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my question. To simplify, is light effected by gravity in same manner as objects with mass regardless of speed? Photons do not have mass but they do have energy.
Everything follows curvature of space?

Physics I learned back in school didn't have much to do with this. As electric technician I learned mostly what is important for that field.

It's kinda hard to wrap mind around this, that's why I find it fascinating.

Rigel84 said:
This is what I was referring to. Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my question. To simplify, is light effected by gravity in same manner as objects with mass regardless of speed? Photons do not have mass but they do have energy.
Everything follows curvature of space?

Physics I learned back in school didn't have much to do with this. As electric technician I learned mostly what is important for that field.

It's kinda hard to wrap mind around this, that's why I find it fascinating.

The paths of light rays differ from, but are similar to, those of particles with mass, but not in the way you suggested in your OP. Where, I think you suggested light was repelled by a massive object.

The path taken by a particle depends on its velocity relative to the massive object. So, there is no single path. Compare a particle falling to Earth and one in orbit.

The path taken by light also depends on its initial velocity relative to the massive object. A light ray moving directly towards an object will continue on that course and hit the object. But, one moving past the object will be deflected - perhaps only slightly - towards it.

Rigel84 said:
To simplify, is light effected by gravity in same manner as objects with mass regardless of speed?

No, but light is effected by gravity in a similar manner as objects with mass and similar speed and the mechanism is identical.

Thanks, it bit clearer. At least I think it is.

Would it be correct to say that in Eddington's solar eclipse experiment, the suns's gravitational field existed with or without photons moving through it and
(A) photons would follow a geodesic as they moved past the sun?
and
(B) Photons would also experience a separate acceleration toward the CG of the sun based on the distance between the photons and the CG of the sun
Therefore
The total deflection would be the sum of effects A and B?
Or are A and B the same thing?

No, there is no separate acceleration.

Tracer said:
Would it be correct to say that in Eddington's solar eclipse experiment, the suns's gravitational field existed with or without photons moving through it and
(A) photons would follow a geodesic as they moved past the sun?
and
(B) Photons would also experience a separate acceleration toward the CG of the sun based on the distance between the photons and the CG of the sun
Therefore
The total deflection would be the sum of effects A and B?
Or are A and B the same thing?
Particles in free-fall follow geodesics. There is no other effect here. In particular, gravity as modeled by GR doesn't cause an acceleration in most senses of the word. It just modifies the meaning of "straight line" in Newton's first law.

The paths of light in the observer's frame of reference are

lichtablenkung.schwarzschild.gif

as you can see the speed of light is not constant, but shapiro-delayed (infinitely, at the horizon; only the local velocity is constant). If you took high velocity particles instead of photons, for example with 0.99999c local initial velocity, you would see no difference on the plot because the deflection and shapiro-delay would be almost the same.

Attachments

• lichtablenkung.schwarzschild.gif
    lichtablenkung.schwarzschild.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 305
Likes Ibix and PumpkinCougar95

Related to Gravitational Lensing: Gravity's Effect on Light

1. What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon in which the gravitational pull of a massive object, such as a galaxy or a black hole, bends the path of light from a distant object, creating a magnified or distorted image.

2. How does gravity affect light in gravitational lensing?

Gravity affects light by bending its path, much like a lens bends light to form an image. In gravitational lensing, the massive object acts as a lens, causing the light from a distant object to bend towards it, resulting in a distorted or magnified image.

3. What causes gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is caused by the gravitational pull of a massive object. The amount of bending of light depends on the mass and distribution of the object. The more massive and compact the object is, the stronger its gravitational pull and the more significant the lensing effect.

4. What are the different types of gravitational lensing?

There are three main types of gravitational lensing: strong, weak, and microlensing. Strong lensing occurs when the light from a distant object is significantly distorted, creating multiple images. Weak lensing results in a subtle distortion of the image. Microlensing is caused by the gravity of individual stars, leading to a temporary brightening of a distant object.

5. How is gravitational lensing used in scientific research?

Gravitational lensing is used in scientific research to study the distribution of matter in the universe, including dark matter. It also allows scientists to observe distant objects that would otherwise be too faint or small to detect. Gravitational lensing can also provide insights into the properties of massive objects, such as galaxies and black holes.