Gravitational Lensing: Is He Right or Wrong?

In summary, the conversation was about gravitational lensing and a disagreement between two people regarding the cause of this phenomenon. One person believed that it was due to the warping of space caused by mass, while the other argued that it was because of angular momentum and quantum mechanics. The first person tried to explain that light needs a medium to travel through and in space there are no glasses, but the second person argued that a prism bends light and in this case, space acts as the medium. The first person also brought up the fact that high energy-mass in a region can form a lens, but this is typically found near other stellar masses. The conversation ended with the first person being reassured by others that their understanding of gravitational lensing was
whirlpoolm51
I recently engaged in a argument with a fellow that tried telling me that gravitational lensing was not because of the warping of space due to mass but instead he told me this

" On a cosmic scale , the mowing energy is in the form of angular momentum, quantum mechanically , the creation of rotation-counter rotation is easy to see and understand. The light bending or space bending theories cannot get things spinning and happily ignore 99% of the entire cosmic moving energy. in the case of the existing counter rotating galaxies the nonlocal quantum mechanical momentum creation explains it just fine"

Now am I just being ignorant or does this statement make no sense what so ever when it comes to gravitational lensing?

"He said that a prism bends light and in such case the photons interact directly with the medium that is the glass that's space bending isn't it"

Someone please tell me what he is trying to say lol

I tried every argument and source I could use to try and show him that light needs a media to travel through and in space there are no glasses so what is the light propagating through to bend it??

Space news on Phys.org
any strong gravitational source can form a lens by bending light stars, galaxies, dark matter etc.
space is never truly empty at any point it is filled with radiation, quantum particles etc so light does travel through a medium though far less dense than a prism. A high enough energy-mass in a given region can form a lens however densities high enough in those region are typically near another stellar mass ie dark matter, stars etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lens

light paths in our universe can also be affected by the universes geometry however this would not be strong enough nor have the correct properties to form a lens. see some of the images on the wiki article to see why that is so.

see this article on the light bending due to geometry

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=733160#post4643860

Likes 1 person
whirlpoolm51 said:
" On a cosmic scale , the mowing energy is in the form of angular momentum, quantum mechanically , the creation of rotation-counter rotation is easy to see and understand. The light bending or space bending theories cannot get things spinning and happily ignore 99% of the entire cosmic moving energy. in the case of the existing counter rotating galaxies the nonlocal quantum mechanical momentum creation explains it just fine"

mordred has given you links that will allow you to explore gravitational lensing and how it actually work. The statement above by your friend is incoherent rubbish.

Thank you guys! I knew a lot about gravitational lensing but I could not for the life of me figure out these little details when debating lol The whole debate just had me second guessing myself but now thanks to you guys its obvious he has no idea really. He also kept bringing up quantum non locality but from what I have learned is that non locality does not allow for faster than light communication. is this right??

correct, entangled particles and quantum tunneling will not allow faster than light communications

Likes 1 person

1. What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon in which the gravitational force of a massive object, such as a galaxy or a black hole, bends the path of light from a distant object. This can create distorted or magnified images of the distant object, allowing us to study it in more detail.

2. How does gravitational lensing support the theory of general relativity?

Gravitational lensing is one of the key pieces of evidence that supports Einstein's theory of general relativity. According to this theory, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by those masses. Gravitational lensing is a direct consequence of this curvature.

3. Is gravitational lensing always caused by massive objects?

No, gravitational lensing can also be caused by dark matter, which is a type of matter that does not interact with light and therefore cannot be directly observed. Dark matter is thought to make up a significant portion of the total mass in the universe, and its gravitational effects can be seen through lensing.

4. Can gravitational lensing be used to study objects beyond our galaxy?

Yes, gravitational lensing can be used to study objects that are billions of light years away. The magnification and distortion of light caused by lensing can provide valuable information about the distant object, such as its size, shape, and composition.

5. Is there any debate about the validity of gravitational lensing?

No, gravitational lensing is a well-established and widely accepted phenomenon in the scientific community. While there may be ongoing research and debates about specific instances of lensing, the overall concept and its role in understanding the universe are not in question.