1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Potential Energy of a rocket

1. May 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rocket is launched straight up from the earth's surface at a speed of 1.80×104m/s . What is its speed when it is very far away from the earth? Answer in m/s

2. Relevant equations
    K1+U1=K2+U2

3. The attempt at a solution

.5mV1^2-(G*m*Me)/r= .5mV2^2-(G*m*Me)/r
    *** THe mass of the rocket should cancel out and the U1 aka (g*m*Me)/r should be zero.

you are left with:

.5V1^2=.5V2^2-(G*m*Me)/r
    *** Now solve for V1

V1 = Square root of [ (.5V1^2+(GMe)/r)/.5 ]

I got 1.06 *10^4

what am I doing wrong? I know that you have to use conservation of energy and assume that since the rocket is traveling a very far distance the final potential energy is going to be zero. Could it be calculator issues?!?!?!

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Watch the signs, and I think you meant V2 instead of V1 in the square root. I'm assuming that you are letting "1" stand for final and "2" for initial.

4. May 3, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why did you say U1 = 0? It's not.
    Then: what is U2?

5. May 3, 2013 #4
    Your original equation is correct, but your implementation of it is incorrect. The r that goes along with V1 is the radius of the earth, and the r that goes along with V2 is infinite. Also, you need to check over your algebra...you have a problem with those 0.5's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted