Gravitational Potential Energy Problem

In summary: U but Uf so that would be 57.1536 J...but that depends on what is your reference point...if you take it at the cliff height then it would be 0 JIn summary, the snowball, initially weighing 0.720 kg with an initial velocity of 14.2 m/s at an angle of 30.0° above the horizontal, is fired from a cliff 8.10 m high. The work done on the snowball by the gravitational force during its flight to the flat ground below the cliff is 57.1536 J. The change in gravitational potential energy of the snowball-Earth system during the flight is also 57
VitaX

Homework Statement

A 0.720 kg snowball is fired from a cliff 8.10 m high. The snowball's initial velocity is 14.2 m/s, directed 30.0° above the horizontal. (a) How much work is done on the snowball by the gravitational force during its flight to the flat ground below the cliff? (b) What is the change in the gravitational potential energy of the snowball-Earth system during the flight? (c) If that gravitational potential energy is taken to be zero at the height of the cliff, what is its value when the snowball reaches the ground?

Homework Equations

Wg = mgyi - mgyf
Change in U = -W

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Wg = .720*9.8*8.10 = 57.1536 J
b) Change in U = -W = -57.1536 J
c) Ug = 0 J (I believe this is correct because since the initial Ug = 0 and the final height is 0, then the overall has to be 0 J)

I'm not sure about my answers because I didn't utilize the speed or angle they gave me that's one reason why I'm posting on here. I'm not sure if my formulas used are correct or incorrect.
My reference height used was at the bottom of the cliff. That equals zero.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers to a and b look OK. For c, the ref height is the top of the 8.10 m cliff; thus at the top of the cliff, using the PE as zero at the cliff height, then at the bottom of the cliff, PE =?

i think your c) is wrong...
because the potential energy at the top of cliff is 0 so, at ground(just before hitting) it should be less than 0..

And i also think that there is no need to use the angle given...

EDIT: this is the second time phanthomjay and me gave answers at almost same time..:smile:

So part c) is

Wg = .720*9.8*0 -.720*9.8*8.1 = -57.1536 J

Is that what you are saying? If that's so then basically my answer for all parts is the same value just different signs?

basically, yes :smile:

Related to Gravitational Potential Energy Problem

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is a type of potential energy that is dependent on the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the object above a reference point.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above a reference point. This formula assumes that the gravitational field is constant, and it is typically measured in joules (J).

3. What factors affect the gravitational potential energy of an object?

The gravitational potential energy of an object is affected by its mass, the strength of the gravitational field, and its position in the field. The higher an object is positioned above a reference point, the greater its gravitational potential energy will be.

4. How is gravitational potential energy related to kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of mechanical energy. As an object falls, it converts its gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy. At the bottom of its fall, the object's gravitational potential energy is zero and its kinetic energy is at its maximum.

5. What are some real-world applications of gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is a concept that is used in many real-world situations, such as rock climbing, roller coasters, and hydroelectric power. In rock climbing, a climber uses their body's gravitational potential energy to propel themselves upwards. Roller coasters use the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy to create thrilling rides. In hydroelectric power, water stored in a high location has gravitational potential energy that is converted into electricity as it falls and turns turbines.