Gravitational Potential [Moved from Academic Guidance]

In summary, gravitational potential is negative by convention, meaning that the potential of a body in free space is taken to be zero and becomes increasingly negative as it moves closer to a gravitational mass. This convention is also seen in the analogy of being on the surface of the Earth, where potential is taken to be zero on a beach and becomes negative as one climbs out of a hole in the sand. However, this convention may not always hold true, as potential can be positive above the surface of the Earth.
kushal18
hey friends why is gravitational potential negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any potential energy (gravitational, electrical, ...) has an arbitrary constant term. Given some conservative force field F(x), any function U(x) for which

[tex]\nabla U({\boldsymbol{x}}) = -\,{\boldsymbol{F}}({\boldsymbol{x}})[/tex]

is a potential energy function U(x) of the force field F(x). Adding a constant to U(x) yields another function Uc(x)=U(x)+c whose gradient is the force field. Bottom line: You can pick any value you want for that constant. One obvious choice for gravitational potential is to make the potential vanish as [itex]||\boldsymbol x||\to\infty[/itex], in which case the potential for any finite x will be negative.

Last edited:
Gravitational is negative by convention. The potential of a body is free space without gravity is taken to be zero...hence near a gravitational mass,say a plant or star, since work must be done to move the body from a strong gravitational influence to free space where it's zero, we say gravity imposes a negative potential...

An analogous situation is on the surface of the earth...say on a beach where we take gravitational potential to be zero...climb out of a hole in the sand to reach zero potential...again gravitational potential is taken to be negative in the hole...

I've not come across a clear explanation as to whether this convention is significant or just convenient...I think idea this matches DH post above...

First things first: I corrected a sign error in my previous post.

Naty1 said:
Gravitational is negative by convention.
Only in the case of a body in free space.

Suppose I want to do elementary physics near the surface of the Earth. I'll choose coordinates such that the x and y axes are parallel to the surface and z is positive upwards. With this convention, the gravitational force is nearly constant:

[tex]\boldsymbol{F} \approx -mg \hat \boldsymbol z[/tex]

The potential functions that generate this constant force field are of the form

[tex]U=mgz+C[/tex]

Here, the "obvious" choice for a constant is C=0. In other words, u=mgz=mgh, which is what you were taught in elementary physics. Now potential is positive above the surface. So gravitation is not always negative by convention.

thanks for the help.

1. What is gravitational potential?

Gravitational potential is a measure of the potential energy of an object in a gravitational field. It is defined as the amount of work that would be required to move the object from a reference point to its current position against the force of gravity.

2. How is gravitational potential calculated?

The gravitational potential at a specific point is calculated by dividing the gravitational potential energy of the object by its mass. It is usually measured in joules per kilogram (J/kg).

3. What is the difference between gravitational potential and gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit mass, while gravitational potential energy is the total energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. In other words, gravitational potential is a per-unit-mass quantity, while gravitational potential energy is an absolute quantity.

4. How does gravitational potential affect the motion of objects?

Gravitational potential is directly related to the force of gravity acting on an object. The higher the gravitational potential, the stronger the force of gravity and the faster an object will accelerate towards the source of the gravitational field.

5. Can gravitational potential be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential can be negative. This occurs when the reference point used for calculating gravitational potential is at a lower altitude or closer to the source of the gravitational field than the object. In this case, the object has more potential energy at its current position compared to the reference point, resulting in a negative potential value.