1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Potential [Moved from Academic Guidance]

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    hey friends why is gravitational potential negative?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any potential energy (gravitational, electrical, ...) has an arbitrary constant term. Given some conservative force field F(x), any function U(x) for which

[tex]\nabla U({\boldsymbol{x}}) = -\,{\boldsymbol{F}}({\boldsymbol{x}})[/tex]

is a potential energy function U(x) of the force field F(x). Adding a constant to U(x) yields another function Uc(x)=U(x)+c whose gradient is the force field. Bottom line: You can pick any value you want for that constant. One obvious choice for gravitational potential is to make the potential vanish as [itex]||\boldsymbol x||\to\infty[/itex], in which case the potential for any finite x will be negative.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  4. Oct 16, 2008 #3
    Gravitational is negative by convention. The potential of a body is free space without gravity is taken to be zero...hence near a gravitational mass,say a plant or star, since work must be done to move the body from a strong gravitational influence to free space where it's zero, we say gravity imposes a negative potential...

An analogous situation is on the surface of the earth...say on a beach where we take gravitational potential to be zero....climb out of a hole in the sand to reach zero potential...again gravitational potential is taken to be negative in the hole....

I've not come across a clear explanation as to whether this convention is significant or just convenient...I think idea this matches DH post above....

5. Oct 16, 2008 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First things first: I corrected a sign error in my previous post.

Only in the case of a body in free space.

Suppose I want to do elementary physics near the surface of the Earth. I'll choose coordinates such that the x and y axes are parallel to the surface and z is positive upwards. With this convention, the gravitational force is nearly constant:

[tex]\boldsymbol{F} \approx -mg \hat \boldsymbol z[/tex]

The potential functions that generate this constant force field are of the form

[tex]U=mgz+C[/tex]

Here, the "obvious" choice for a constant is C=0. In other words, u=mgz=mgh, which is what you were taught in elementary physics. Now potential is positive above the surface. So gravitation is not always negative by convention.

6. Oct 23, 2008 #5
    thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?