What is Gravitational Wave Astronomy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the exciting emerging field of research in gravitational wave astronomy, specifically mentioning the LISA and LIGO projects. These projects use advanced technology, such as spacecrafts arranged in an equilateral triangle and Michelson interferometry, to detect gravitational waves. The conversation also reflects on how far humanity has come in understanding and utilizing the power of the universe, with the potential for even more exciting discoveries in the future.
voyager77
What an ambitious emerging field of research! Anyone else as into this as I am?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave_astronomy

The LISA and LIGO projects are MIND-BLOWING. I can't believe I am so lucky as to be alive in this age. There's never been a better time to be alive. I could just imagine the look on Galileo's face as someone told him, "Yeah, in a little under 400 years astronomers are going to build a massive device that can detect gravitational waves using three spacecraft s arranged in an equilateral triangle to form a giant Michelson interferometer, with arms about five million kilometers in length. Whats astronomical interformetery, you ask? Well that's about 150 years from your time and that involves..."

And on and on and on.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's really amazing how far we've come in understanding and harnessing the power of the universe to understand even more about it. I'm sure there are many more exciting discoveries in store!

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime that are produced by the acceleration of massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars.

2. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using highly sensitive instruments called interferometers, which are able to measure tiny distortions in spacetime caused by passing gravitational waves.

3. What can we learn from studying gravitational waves?

Studying gravitational waves can give us valuable insights into the behavior and properties of extreme astrophysical phenomena, such as black holes and neutron stars. It can also help us test and refine our understanding of the laws of gravity.

4. Can gravitational waves be used for practical applications?

While not currently used for practical applications, some scientists believe that gravitational waves could potentially be used for communication or navigation in the future. Additionally, studying gravitational waves could lead to technological advancements in areas such as precision measurement and laser technology.

5. How does gravitational wave astronomy differ from traditional astronomy?

Gravitational wave astronomy differs from traditional astronomy in that it focuses on studying the effects of gravitational waves, rather than just observing electromagnetic radiation. This allows us to study objects and phenomena that are invisible to traditional telescopes, such as black holes and the early universe.