Gravity Problem Help - Find Acceleration of Gravity 3000 Miles Above Earth

• Thread starter bengaltiger14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the value of acceleration of gravity at a distance of 3000 miles above the Earth's surface with a mass of 5.98 x 10^24kg can be calculated using the equation g= GM/r^2. After plugging in the values, the initial calculation resulted in a value of 17.1 m/s^2, which was deemed too high. It was then realized that the radius of the Earth (11.2 x 10^6 meters) needed to be added to the distance of 3000 miles (4828 km) for an accurate calculation, resulting in a final value of 3.17 m/s^2.
bengaltiger14
I need to find the value of acceleration of gravity 3000 miles above the Earth's surface. I figured 3000 miles = 4.83 x 10^3 meters. Mass of the Earth equals 5.98 x 10^24kg. I used the equation:

g= GM/r^2 and get 17.1 m/s^2. This is too high a value. I don't think I am using the correct distance in my calculation. Any help Please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I got is. I need to add the radius of the Earth which is 11.2 x 10^6 meters to the 3000 miles and the acceleration = 3.17 m/s^2 correct??

bengaltiger14 said:
Ok, I think I got is. I need to add the radius of the Earth which is 11.2 x 10^6 meters to the 3000 miles and the acceleration = 3.17 m/s^2 correct??
Yes, it is correct (although I think you meant 3000 miles {4828 km} plus the radius of Earth {6378 km} equaled 11.2 x 10^6 meters.)

1. What is the acceleration of gravity 3000 miles above Earth?

The acceleration of gravity 3000 miles above Earth is approximately 9.69 meters per second squared. This value is slightly less than the acceleration of gravity at Earth's surface due to the decrease in Earth's gravitational pull at higher altitudes.

2. How is the acceleration of gravity calculated at a specific altitude?

The acceleration of gravity at a specific altitude is calculated using the formula g = GM/r^2, where g is the acceleration of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance from the center of the Earth to the object.

3. Does the acceleration of gravity change at different altitudes?

Yes, the acceleration of gravity changes at different altitudes due to the variation in Earth's gravitational pull. As an object moves farther away from the Earth's surface, the gravitational pull decreases, resulting in a lower acceleration of gravity.

4. How does the acceleration of gravity at 3000 miles above Earth affect objects?

The acceleration of gravity at 3000 miles above Earth can affect objects in space by causing them to orbit around the Earth. It also determines the speed at which objects will fall towards the Earth when dropped or released from a certain height.

5. What other factors can affect the acceleration of gravity at 3000 miles above Earth?

The acceleration of gravity at 3000 miles above Earth can be affected by factors such as the mass and density of the Earth, the shape and rotation of the Earth, and the presence of other celestial bodies such as the Moon and other planets.