How Do Orbital Dynamics Affect Satellites with Different Masses and Distances?

In summary, three satellites orbit a planet of radius R. Satellites s1 and s3 have mass m and orbit at 2R and 3R from the center of the planet, respectively. Satellite s2 has a mass of 2m and orbits at 2R from the center of the planet. The period of s1 is 250 minutes and the force on s1 is 10,000 N. Using Kepler's third law, it can be determined that s2 also has a period of 250 minutes. The period of s3 can be calculated as 250*(1.5)^3. The forces on s2 and s3 can be calculated using the equation F=GMm
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

Three satellites orbit a planet of radius R. Satellites s1 and s3 have mass m. Satellite s2 has a mass of 2m. Satellites s1 & s2 have orbits 2R from the center of the planet. Satellite s3 has an orbit of 3R from the center of the planet. Satellite s1 orbits in 250 minutes and the force on s1 is 10,000 N

a)What are the periods of s2 and s3?
b)What are the forces on s2 and s3

Homework Equations

T= [(4pi)^2/GM]*r^3

The Attempt at a Solution

As I'm starting this problem, I'm wondering: Do I have to consider the forces between the satellites as well? And if I do, how will I know the distances between them? Or is the force on s1 only the force from the gravity of the planet? Can I get some suggestions on how to start this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this going to end up being an expression or a number?

Ok, I just had some thoughts, according to Kepler's third law it seems to me that satellite 2 would also have a period of 250 minutes. Then by reasoning, increasing the radius by a factor of 1.5 would increase the period by a factor of 1.5^3 so the period of s3 would be 250* (1.5)^3. Is this correct?

F= GMm/r^2 So Then likewise, the force on s2 would be 20,000N & s3 would be 10000/(1.5^2)

1. What is the "Gravity Satellite Problem"?

The "Gravity Satellite Problem" refers to the challenge of accurately measuring and predicting the gravitational forces acting on a satellite in orbit around a planet or other celestial body.

2. Why is the "Gravity Satellite Problem" important?

Understanding and accurately predicting the effects of gravity on satellites is crucial for successful space missions, as any miscalculations can lead to significant errors in trajectory and potentially cause the satellite to fail or collide with other objects in space.

3. How do scientists solve the "Gravity Satellite Problem"?

Scientists use mathematical models and equations, such as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, to calculate the gravitational forces acting on a satellite. They also use data from previous missions and observations to refine their predictions.

4. What are some of the challenges in solving the "Gravity Satellite Problem"?

One of the main challenges is that the gravitational force can vary depending on the distance and mass of the objects involved, as well as any other external forces acting on the satellite. This requires scientists to constantly update and adjust their calculations.

5. How does solving the "Gravity Satellite Problem" benefit society?

Accurately predicting and understanding the effects of gravity on satellites not only ensures the success of space missions, but also helps with the development of technologies such as GPS and communication satellites, which have a significant impact on our daily lives.