1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Great introduction to heat, temperature and thermodynamics.

1. Jun 13, 2015 #1
    So i need a introduction to Heat, temperature and thermodynamics; not a very advanced text, just a clear beginner text that can include math/calculus. I'm just curious about how heat was/is measured, how it's defined and how it works.Also I wan't to understand thermodynamics and entropy and how and why it was devellopedl

So far I'm thinking about choosing between these books.

A) Inventing Temperature: Measurement and Scientific Progress - Hasok Chang.(Love history and how ideas evolved throught experiment )
    B) Understanding Physics: Volume 1: Motion, Sound and Heat - Isaac Asimov (then reading about heat)

C) Entropy and the Second Law: Interpretation and Misss-Interpretations

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2015 #2
    Although it does not contain historical explanations a book that you might consider examining is Schroeder's An Introduction to Thermal Physics. I think it develops the idea of temperature, energy, entropy from kinetic gases quite clearly and eventually leads into introductory Stat Mech. Another classic text is Statistical Physics: Berkeley Physics Course, Vol. 5 by Rief which I remeber as being clear but I cannot remember as to wheter it included historical development.

4. Jun 20, 2015 #3
    Reif has updated his contribution to the Berkeley Physics Course, producing this book: Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics

As for the OP, if you have never been exposed to any of that, take a few hours of your time to follow Shankar in his video lectures (21 to 24) on the fundamentals of physics (look them up on Youtube).
    The man has a knack for getting to the heart of things. Those lessons might be a powerful appetizer.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted