Finding the Greatest Common Factor: Proving the Property (xa,xb)=x(a,b)

• Thread starter annoymage
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving constants x and integers a and b. The proof shows that (xa,xb) | x(a,b) and vice versa, with the help of previously established statements (1), (2), and (3). The person asking the question is struggling with the proof and asking for help.
annoymage

Homework Statement

is this suppose to be very obvious?

(xa,xb)=x(a,b) , x are constant

i can't see it T_T

nevertheless, i can't even prove it

to prove (xa,xb) l x(a,b)

let e=(a,b), then there exist integer m,n such that

e=ma+nb

xe=max+nbx

since (xa,xb) l ax and (xa,xb) l bx, then (xa,xb) l xe

to prove x(a,b) l (xa,xb)

i'm stuck here, many method i used but all halfway, can someone give me clue, and tell me is that suppose to be obvious? I'm rushing to class now, thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](a,b)=e\Rightarrow{xe=xam+xbn}[/tex]

(1) [tex]e | a \Rightarrow{es=a}\Rightarrow{xes=xa}\Rightarrow{xe | xa}[/tex]

(2) [tex]e | b \Rightarrow{et=b}\Rightarrow{xet=xb}\Rightarrow{xe | xb}[/tex]

(3) [tex]d |xa, d | xb \Rightarrow{di=xa,dj=xb}\Rightarrow{xe=xam+xbn=d(im+jn)}\Rightarrow{d | xe} [/tex]

[tex]\(1\),\(2\),\(3\)\Rightarrow{(ax,bx)=ex} [/tex]

huaaaaa, thankss, i didn't noticed the (1) and (2), it really helpful, thanks

Related to Finding the Greatest Common Factor: Proving the Property (xa,xb)=x(a,b)

What is the definition of greatest common factor (GCF)?

The greatest common factor, also known as the greatest common divisor, is the largest number that is a factor of two or more given numbers. In other words, it is the largest number that evenly divides into all of the given numbers.

How do you find the GCF of two or more numbers?

To find the greatest common factor of two or more numbers, you can use the method of prime factorization. This involves breaking down each number into its prime factors and then identifying the common factors. The GCF will be the product of all the common prime factors.

What is the relationship between GCF and Least Common Multiple (LCM)?

The GCF and LCM are related in that they both involve finding common factors of two or more numbers. The GCF is the largest common factor, while the LCM is the smallest number that is a multiple of all the given numbers. In other words, the LCM is the product of all the unique prime factors of the given numbers.

Can the GCF be larger than the smallest number in a set of numbers?

No, the GCF cannot be larger than the smallest number in a set of numbers. This is because the GCF must be a factor of all the given numbers, and if it is larger than the smallest number, then it would not be a factor of that number.

Why is finding the GCF important?

Finding the GCF is important because it allows us to simplify fractions, factor polynomials, and solve word problems involving ratios and proportions. It is also useful in finding the LCM and in simplifying complex mathematical expressions.