Green's Function using method of images

In summary, to find the Green's function using the method of images, you will need an infinite sequence of images at each plane z = k, k = 0, +/- 1, +/- 2,... to ensure that the potential on the boundaries is zero. To show that the Green's function is zero on the boundaries, you can use the method of images. To show that the sequences are convergent, you can use the distance between the two points r and r' and the ratio or comparison test.
Somefantastik

Homework Statement

[tex]\Omega = \left{ \left( x,y,z \right) :,0<z<1 \right} [/tex]

Need to find Green's function using the method of images.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that I will need an infinite sequence of images at each plane z = k, k = 0, +/- 1, +/- 2,... to make the potential on each boundary equal to zero.

let the positive charges be

[tex]r^{+}_{k} = (x,y,2k+z) \ and\ r^{-}_{k} = (x,y,2k-z) [/tex]

and Green's Function will look like

[tex] G(r',r) = \frac{1}{4\pi}\sum^{\infty}_{k = -\infty} \left[ \frac{1}{\left|r'-r^{+}_{k} \right| } - \frac{1}{\left|r - r^{-}_{k} \left| } \left] \left}[/tex]

How do I show that G(r',r) = 0 on the boundaries?

I also need to show that the sequences are convergent, and I haven't done that in so long I can't remember how.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! To show that the Green's function is zero on the boundaries, you can use the method of images. By choosing the appropriate images, you can ensure that the potential on the boundaries is zero. For example, for the boundary at z=0, you can choose images at z = +/- 1, +/- 2, etc. to cancel out the potential from the positive and negative charges. Similarly, for the boundary at z=1, you can choose images at z = 1 +/- 1, +/- 2, etc. to cancel out the potential from the positive and negative charges. This will ensure that the Green's function is zero on the boundaries.

To show that the sequences are convergent, you can use the fact that the Green's function is a function of the distance between the two points r and r'. As the distance between the two points increases, the contribution from each image decreases, and the series will converge. You can also use the ratio test or the comparison test to show convergence.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is the method of images in Green's function?

The method of images is a mathematical technique used to solve problems in electrostatics and other fields that involve the use of Green's function. It involves creating a virtual image charge or set of charges to simulate the boundary conditions of the problem and simplify the calculation of the Green's function.

2. How does the method of images work in Green's function?

The method of images exploits the principle of superposition, which states that the total potential at a point is equal to the sum of the potentials from each individual source. By creating virtual image charges, the potential at the boundary can be set to zero, simplifying the calculation of the Green's function.

3. What are the advantages of using the method of images in Green's function?

One of the main advantages of the method of images is that it can greatly simplify the calculation of Green's function for problems with complex boundary conditions. It also allows for the use of analytical solutions, which can be more accurate and efficient than numerical methods.

4. What are the limitations of the method of images in Green's function?

The method of images is only applicable to certain types of problems, such as those with simple geometries and boundary conditions. It also assumes that the medium is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.

5. How is the method of images related to other techniques in Green's function?

The method of images is closely related to other techniques in Green's function, such as the method of images in electrostatics and the method of images in heat conduction. These methods all use the principle of superposition and create virtual sources to simplify the calculation of Green's function for specific types of problems.