1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Theorem well, sort of.

1. Jan 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate [tex]\displaystyle \int_C y^2dx + x^2dy[/tex] for the path C: the boundary of the region lying between the graphs of [tex]\displaystyle y=x[/tex] and [tex]\displaystyle y=\frac{x^2}{4}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    The catch is that you can't use Green's Theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think you can break C into two other curves, [tex]C_1:r(t)=t\textbf{i}+t\textbf{j}[/tex] for [tex]0 \leq t \leq 4[/tex] and [tex]C_2:r(t)=(8-t)\textbf{i}+\frac{(8-t)^2}{4}\textbf{j}[/tex] for [tex]4 \leq t \leq 8[/tex].

I believe my error is somewhere below:

[tex]
    2\int_{C_1}t^2dt+\frac{-1}{2} \int_{C_2}(8-t)^3((8-t)+1)dt \Rightarrow 2\int_0^4t^2dt+\frac{-1}{2} \int_4^8(8-t)^3((8-t)+1)dt
    [/tex]

I get that expression equal to [tex]\frac{-1376}{15}[/tex], which I know is incorrect, as I used Green's Theorem, and got [tex]\frac{32}{15}[/tex] which also coincides with the answer key I have.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Shouldn't your second integrand be something like (8-t)^4/16+(8-t)^3/2? With only a (-1) coefficient outside?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  4. Jan 10, 2009 #3
    Yes, that's what I had, but I factored it just a little bit in the above expression.

5. Jan 10, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you factored it wrong. The integral of 2*t^2 from 0 to 4 minus the integral of (8-t)^4/16+(8-t)^3/2 from 4 to 8 is -32/15.

6. Jan 10, 2009 #5
    I realized my mistake, I had been thinking that I needed to get positive 32/15, but it all depends on the direction of the curve, which in my case was clockwise, and is usually taken to be counterclockwise. Is that correct?

7. Jan 10, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but how did you get -1376/15?

8. Jan 10, 2009 #7
    I forgot a factor of 1/8 that should be in the second expression when I factored, thanks for the help!

9. Jan 10, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought it was something like that. You set up the problem just fine. Very welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?