Griffiths Problem 1.15: Understanding Complex Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses Chapter 1, problem 1.15 from Griffiths and the concept of unstable particles with an exponentially decreasing probability of being found. This is represented by a complex potential with a positive real constant, \Gamma, that is related to the particle's decay rate. The complex part of the potential describes the particle's probability of "disappearing" over time. A full treatment of this concept would involve a quantum field theory and account for the decay into other particles. There are still questions about the physical significance of complex potentials and whether a more advanced treatment is necessary to describe an unstable particle.
neutrino
Yet another question from question from Griffiths. This time I was able to do the problem, but I’m not able to understand what it means.

Chapter 1, problem 1.15

He talks about unstable particles for which the probability of finding it somewhere is not one, but an exponentially decreasing function of time.

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|\Psi(x,t)|^2dx = e^\frac{-t}{\tau}[/tex] ,

To arrive at this result (in a “crude” way), we assume that the potential energy function has an imaginary part, [itex]\Gamma[/itex].

[tex]V = V_0 - \imath\Gamma[/tex],

where [itex]V_0[/itex] is the true potential energy and [itex]\Gamma[/itex] a positive real constant.

What I don’t understand is the nature of this potential. What’s a complex potential, and does gamma have a physical meaning?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
neutrino said:
Yet another question from question from Griffiths. This time I was able to do the problem, but I’m not able to understand what it means.

Chapter 1, problem 1.15

He talks about unstable particles for which the probability of finding it somewhere is not one, but an exponentially decreasing function of time.

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|\Psi(x,t)|^2dx = e^\frac{-t}{\tau}[/tex] ,

To arrive at this result (in a “crude” way), we assume that the potential energy function has an imaginary part, [itex]\Gamma[/itex].

[tex]V = V_0 - \imath\Gamma[/tex],

where [itex]V_0[/itex] is the true potential energy and [itex]\Gamma[/itex] a positive real constant.

What I don’t understand is the nature of this potential. What’s a complex potential, and does gamma have a physical meaning?

have you related Gamma to the lifetime tau?
Gamma is bascially the decay rate of the particle. The complex part of the potential is related to the fact that the probability of observing the particle "decays" with time. Basically, that the particle has a probability of "disappearing". Of course, whatthis means is that a complex potential describes an *unstable* particle. At some point it will decay into *other particles* but since you have only an equation describing this particle, you must take this effect into account by introducing a complex part in the potential (a full treatment would have to include the other particles as well as a mean for the number of particles to change and would thus require a full-fledged quantum field theory).

Thanks for the reply. :smile:

nrqed said:
have you related Gamma to the lifetime tau?
Gamma is bascially the decay rate of the particle.
Yes, [tex]\tau = \frac{\hbar}{2\Gamma}[/tex]. Gamma, of course, has units of energy.

The complex part of the potential is related to the fact that the probability of observing the particle "decays" with time. Basically, that the particle has a probability of "disappearing". Of course, whatthis means is that a complex potential describes an *unstable* particle.
That part was clear, i.e. to describe a unstable particle you need a complex potential.

At some point it will decay into *other particles* but since you have only an equation describing this particle, you must take this effect into account by introducing a complex part in the potential (a full treatment would have to include the other particles as well as a mean for the number of particles to change and would thus require a full-fledged quantum field theory).
(A naïve question)So will this QFT treatment bring back the real (both physically and mathematically) potential?

Last edited:
neutrino said:
That part was clear, i.e. to describe a unstable particle you need a complex potential.

Is that a generalization? Complex potentials have mathematical (functional) significance as entities in gaussian space, but can their real and imaginary parts be necessarily ascribed a physical signifiance?

(A naïve question)So will this QFT treatment bring back the real (both physically and mathematically) potential?

If this has something to do with renormalization (as an analogous mathematical step in procedure or even spirit) then I would be interested to know what you mean by "bring back".

maverick280857 said:
Is that a generalization? Complex potentials have mathematical (functional) significance as entities in gaussian space, but can their real and imaginary parts be necessarily ascribed a physical signifiance?
That's what I want to know. But my earlier statement was within the limits of the problem.

If this has something to do with renormalization (as an analogous mathematical step in procedure or even spirit) then I would be interested to know what you mean by "bring back".
I did say it was a naive question. To make it clear, will the advanced treatment make the complex potential a sort of "trick" to describe an unstable particle. Sorry, I'm unable to explain it any better, at the moment. :redface:

neutrino said:
I did say it was a naive question. To make it clear, will the advanced treatment make the complex potential a sort of "trick" to describe an unstable particle. Sorry, I'm unable to explain it any better, at the moment. :redface:

I am not exactly sure what this 'advanced treatment' actually does...perhaps we need to be directed to a paper/book where it is dealt with rigorously.

Given that the probability integral has an exponential time-dependance, it should be possible to get back a suitable wavefunction without resorting to the trick. If this is possible, it would be interesting to know whether such a wavefunction is unique (not in terms of complex amplitude for normalization) and if not, what class of wavefunctions satisfy such a relation.

My guess is that we need to look at the wavemechanics of radioactive decay...

One more question...

When we say, [tex]\tau = \frac{\hbar}{2\Gamma}[/tex], we don't actually take into consideration the nature of the particle. As per this formula, every particle in the given potential will have the same lifetime. Is that correct?

neutrino said:
One more question...

When we say, [tex]\tau = \frac{\hbar}{2\Gamma}[/tex], we don't actually take into consideration the nature of the particle. As per this formula, every particle in the given potential will have the same lifetime. Is that correct?

What if the "nature" is absorbed into [itex]\Gamma[/itex]?

EDIT: That's a wild guess.

Last edited:
neutrino said:
One more question...

To answer one of your previous questions: yes, in a complete (QFT) treatment, the equivalent of th epotentials would be real and the decay of a certain particle would lead to the corresponding creation of other particles with the correct energies, quantum numbers, etc. That's the power of QFT.

For this question: I don't think there is a way in this formalism to describe two particles (even if they have the same decay rate). This is a trick which, (unless I am mistaken and someone else will correct me) will work only to describe one unstable particle. If you had two particles and an imaginary term in the potential, the combined wavefunction would be decaying and there is no way to untangle the decay of one particle vs the other. As far as I can see anyway.

Messy, isn't it? And that kids, is why we use QFT :biggrin:

nrqed said:
To answer one of your previous questions: yes, in a complete (QFT) treatment, the equivalent of th epotentials would be real and the decay of a certain particle would lead to the corresponding creation of other particles with the correct energies, quantum numbers, etc. That's the power of QFT.

For this question: I don't think there is a way in this formalism to describe two particles (even if they have the same decay rate). This is a trick which, (unless I am mistaken and someone else will correct me) will work only to describe one unstable particle. If you had two particles and an imaginary term in the potential, the combined wavefunction would be decaying and there is no way to untangle the decay of one particle vs the other. As far as I can see anyway.

Thanks for the clarification, nrqed.

Dimitri Terryn said:
Messy, isn't it? And that kids, is why we use QFT
More reasons to get to QFT ASAP. :biggrin:

Neutrino, there's a post on QFT prereqs somewhere on the High Energy forum...check it out first.

Yes, I've been following that for sometime now. But there is still a long way before I get to that point.

Likes pintu935
Dimitri Terryn said:
Messy, isn't it? And that kids, is why we use QFT :biggrin:

Off Topic: Nice blog there mate. How did you type those equations? I want to put up equations on my blog too (but I am too lazy). Oh and I'm putting a link to your blog on my links page (http://spinor.sitesled.com/ ).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Griffiths Problem 1.15: Understanding Complex Potential

1. What is the Griffiths Problem 1.15 about?

The Griffiths Problem 1.15 is a physics problem that deals with understanding complex potential in electrostatics. It requires the use of mathematical tools such as complex numbers and contour integrals to solve.

2. Why is it important to understand complex potential?

Complex potential is important in studying electrostatics because it allows us to represent the electric field and potential in a unified way. It also simplifies calculations and helps us analyze the behavior of electric fields in more complex systems.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving Griffiths Problem 1.15?

The key concepts involved in solving this problem include complex numbers, contour integrals, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. One must also have a good understanding of electrostatics and the behavior of electric fields in different systems.

4. What are some common challenges in solving Griffiths Problem 1.15?

Some common challenges in solving this problem include understanding the properties of complex numbers, correctly setting up and evaluating contour integrals, and applying the Cauchy-Riemann equations accurately. It also requires a strong grasp of mathematical techniques and problem-solving skills.

5. How can I improve my understanding of complex potential and solve Griffiths Problem 1.15 more effectively?

To improve your understanding and solve this problem more effectively, it is important to practice solving similar problems and seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice exercises. It can also be helpful to review the fundamentals of complex numbers and contour integrals before attempting this problem.