What is the electrostatic pressure between two charged metal plates?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Griffiths
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two large metal plates held at a distance apart with a charge placed on each plate. The question is what is the electrostatic pressure on the plates. The conversation includes discussions about using Gauss's law, finding the electric field between and outside the plates, and using symmetry to simplify the problem. The solution involves treating one plate as isolated and using the formula F=QE to find the force on the other plate. The assumption is made that the electric field due to each plate is constant within a certain distance from the plate. Ultimately, the problem is solved by applying Gauss's law and using the formula F=QE.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] Griffiths problem 2.37

Homework Statement

Two large metal plates (each of area A) are held a distance d apart. Suppose we put a charge Q on each plate; what is the electrostatic pressure on the plates?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so helplessly lost with this problem. How do I get the electric field just outside of the surfaces of the plates? Its not a capacitor since the charges are not opposite!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's not a capacitor, but is there any reason why Gauss's law can't still work? What is the electric field between, how about outside? Should take a couple lines of work with good uses of symmetry.

Mindscrape said:
No, it's not a capacitor, but is there any reason why Gauss's law can't still work? What is the electric field between, how about outside? Should take a couple lines of work with good uses of symmetry.

What Gaussian surface am I supposed to use? A box that goes through box plates? A box that goes through one plate? A box that goes through neither? A don't see how any of them would be helpful since you cannot evaluate the surface integral.

ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

Two large metal plates (each of area A) are held a distance d apart. Suppose we put a charge Q on each plate; what is the electrostatic pressure on the plates?
Is A>>d^2? If not, you can't use Gauss's law, and it is a difficult problem.
If yes, the E field of one plate is easy to find, and F=QE.

Griffiths calling things "large" is always a keyword for, "approximate as infinite." Does this help at all with your predicament of evaluating as a surface integral?

pam said:
Is A>>d^2? If not, you can't use Gauss's law, and it is a difficult problem.
If yes, the E field of one plate is easy to find, and F=QE.

I assume A is much greater than d^2. But still I don't see how to find the E-field. Let us draw a Gaussian pillbox that saddles one of the plates. The flux through the sides will be 0 by symmetry because the plates are large. But there is still the top and the bottom that we don't know the flux through. We assume the E-field is constant at each. Knowing the E-field at one gives you the E-field at the other. But how do you get the E-field at either one?

For an isolated plate, E through each face is the same by symmetry.
Griffith's does this in detail.

pam said:
For an isolated plate, E through each face is the same by symmetry.
Griffith's does this in detail.

This is not an isolated plate.

Tell me, how would you find the electric fields for a capacitor? Perhaps, let's work from some more familiar ground.

Okay. That was a helpful post Mindscrape.

I see what is going on. We are making the (very unrealistic) assumption that the electric field due to each plate is constant at distances within [itex]\pm d [/itex] of that plate and is equal to [itex]Q/2\epsilon_0 A[/itex] in the normal direction. Then you guys are right, the problem is easy since application of Gauss's Law is trivial.

Last edited:
Actually the problem is not quite solved yet. Equation 2.52 depends on E which is given as the electric field just outside the surface, but in this case, isn't the electric field different on the two sides of the plates i.e. it is 0 between the plates and [itex]Q/A \epsilon_0[/itex] on the other side isn't it. So what do I use for E in eqn 2.72?

To find the force on a plate, you treat one plate as if it is isolated.
Then use F=QE on the other plate. That's the same as how you find the force between two + point charges. There, too, the total field on a line between the charges is zero.

It's actually not so unrealistic. Think about what an infinite plane really means. Picture yourself above an infinite plane, as you back away it will look the same (since there isn't really anything to reference). If you are really close to a surface, or the surface is really long then it has the same effect.

1. What is Griffiths problem 2.37?

Griffiths problem 2.37 is a question from David J. Griffiths' textbook "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics." It is a physics problem that involves solving for the energy levels of a one-dimensional potential well.

2. How do you approach solving Griffiths problem 2.37?

To solve Griffiths problem 2.37, you first need to set up the Schrödinger equation for the one-dimensional potential well. Then, you need to apply appropriate boundary conditions and use mathematical techniques such as integration and solving differential equations to find the energy levels.

3. What is the significance of Griffiths problem 2.37?

Griffiths problem 2.37 is a common problem used in introductory quantum mechanics courses to demonstrate the application of the Schrödinger equation and boundary conditions in finding energy levels. It also helps students understand the concept of quantization in quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any tips for solving Griffiths problem 2.37?

Some tips for solving Griffiths problem 2.37 include carefully setting up the Schrödinger equation, using the appropriate boundary conditions, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be helpful to review mathematical techniques such as integration and solving differential equations.

5. Are there any resources available to help with Griffiths problem 2.37?

Yes, there are many online resources available that provide step-by-step solutions to Griffiths problem 2.37. You can also seek help from your professor or classmates, or consult other textbooks on quantum mechanics for additional explanations and examples.