1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Groundspeed/Airspeed of insect

1. Mar 12, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

I am involved in a project to fly small moths down a wind tunnel to measure their flight patterns.
    the moths fly a total of 1.15m into a headwind of 1m/s. i am currently using velocity=distance/time to calculate an average speed but am unsure if this would be a called a groundspeed or airspeed?? most moths take about 6 seconds to fly this distance.
    does anyone have any ideas? other thoughts about how to calculate these velocities?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2007 #2
    That is the ground speed. You are measuring it relative to a fixed ground frame.
  4. Mar 12, 2007 #3

Science Advisor

Airspeed is the speed relative to the air. Groundspeed is relative to the ground. The 1.15/6 m/s is the ground speed. The airspeed is 1.15+1 m/s.

Airspeed is used for performance calculations like max lift, etc... Groundspeed is used to calculate time of flight.
  5. Mar 12, 2007 #4
    surely airspeed would be groundspeed-windspeed (which in this case would be negative 1m/s due to it being a headwind)?
  6. Mar 12, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

It is negative if it is a tailwind, not a headwind.
  7. Mar 12, 2007 #6

Gold Member

And any angle between forward and backward results in intermediate values. Despite my total lack of math ability, I could work out wind-vector triangles like a demon. (Gotta love that Cessna flight computer. :biggrin: )
    What I really want to know is how you convince a moth to fly upwind rather than down. :uhh:
  8. Mar 13, 2007 #7
    surely that can't be right - the insects fly into a headwind so the windspeed must be a negative number (see http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/instruments/q0210.shtml)
    using a positive number gives an airspeed of -0.8m/s!!

moths and most other animals fly into head winds for tracking purposes
  9. Mar 13, 2007 #8
    I suppose it depends on convention--I would thing Sg=Sa+Sw surely if we were talking velocies, this is the case. So the airspeed=2.15m/s as fred suggested. In fact if we were to raise the windspeed to this value, I believe :

Sg=0. Sw=-2.15 and the Sa=2.15
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?