What Are the Properties of the Group Homomorphism phi from Z(50) to Z(15)?

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, we are given a group homomorphism phi:Z(50)->Z(15) with phi(7)=6. We determine that phi(x)=3*x and the image of phi is a subgroup generated by the elements 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 in Z15. The kernel of phi is also a subgroup, which can be found by solving for x in 3x=1 in Z15.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Suppose that phi : Z(50)->Z(15) is a group homomorphism with phi(7)=6.
a) determine phi(x)
b) Determine the image of phi
c) determine the kernel of phi
d) determine (phi^-1)(3))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to determine phi: I need to find a multiple of 7 where zero is the remainder. the multiple is 13 . Next I would say 7*13=1 mod 15. => phi(13*7)=phi(1) => 6*13= 78 mod 15 =3. There phi(1)=3. Thus, phi(x)=3*x.

I'm not sure how to find the image and kernel of phi. I think in order to determine Ker phi, you say Ker phi={x|3x =1}={1/3)}. My result for Ker phi seems incorrect

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Benzoate said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that phi : Z(50)->Z(15) is a group homomorphism with phi(7)=6.
a) determine phi(x)
b) Determine the image of phi
c) determine the kernel of phi
d) determine (phi^-1)(3))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to determine phi: I need to find a multiple of 7 where zero is the remainder. the multiple is 13 . Next I would say 7*13=1 mod 15. => phi(13*7)=phi(1) => 6*13= 78 mod 15 =3. There phi(1)=3. Thus, phi(x)=3*x.

I'm not sure how to find the image and kernel of phi. I think in order to determine Ker phi, you say Ker phi={x|3x =1}={1/3)}. My result for Ker phi seems incorrect
Are we dealing with Z50 as a group under addition? Your manipulation of phi seems to suggest so, but if so, the identity would not be 1.

What is im(phi)? phi(1)=3, so phi(2) = 6, etc. Does this generate a subgroup in Z15? If so, that's the image. This will also tell you the kernel, since the kernel of a homomorphism is also a subgroup.

1. What is a group homomorphism problem?

A group homomorphism problem is a mathematical problem in which the goal is to find a function that maps elements from one group to another while preserving the group structure. In other words, the function must preserve the operations of the groups, such as multiplication and identity elements.

2. How is a group homomorphism problem different from an isomorphism problem?

A group homomorphism problem and an isomorphism problem are similar in that they both involve finding a function between groups. However, an isomorphism problem requires the function to also be a bijection, meaning it is both one-to-one and onto. In a group homomorphism problem, the function does not necessarily have to be a bijection.

3. What is the importance of solving group homomorphism problems?

Solving group homomorphism problems is important in many areas of mathematics, as well as in fields such as computer science and physics. It allows for the study of the relationship between different groups and can help to simplify complex problems by reducing them to simpler structures.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve group homomorphism problems?

Some common techniques used to solve group homomorphism problems include identifying the kernel and image of the function, using the first or second isomorphism theorem, and using the concept of normal subgroups. Additionally, linear algebra techniques such as matrix multiplication and eigenvector analysis can also be helpful in solving group homomorphism problems.

5. Are there any real world applications of group homomorphism problems?

Yes, there are many real world applications of group homomorphism problems. For example, in computer science, group homomorphisms are used in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt data. In physics, group homomorphisms are used to study symmetries and conservation laws. They also have applications in chemistry, biology, and economics.