Group Homomorphism in Z_7 - Why is the Answer Yes?

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
Now back to the question: is ##\phi : G \to H## a homomorphism?Yes, it is. To prove this, we need to show that for any ##g_1, g_2 \in G##, we have ##\phi(g_1 + g_2) = \phi(g_1) + \phi(g_2)##. In other words, we need to show that ##2(g_1 + g_2) = 2g_1 + 2g_2## in ##H##.Now, ##g_1 + g_2## is just addition in ##G##, and ##2(g_1 + g_2)## is
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Groups G and H are both groups in Z_7 (integer modulo), the mapping Is given by ø(g) = 2g

is ø: G-->H a homomorphism?

The Attempt at a Solution

My textbook says yes, I can't understand why.

ø(g1g2) = 2(g1g2) does not equal 2g1*2g2 = ø(g1)ø(g2)

something missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently you are missing that this is in "Z_7". (I'm not sure what you mean by "groups in Z_7". The group Z_7, with either addition as operation, has only itself and the identity as subgroups.)

In any case, in Z_7, ø(0)= 0, ø(1)= 2, ø(2)= 4, ø(3)= 6, ø(4)= 1, ø(5)= 3, ø(6)= 5.

I won't go through all 36 possible combinations but, for example, if g1= 3 and g2= 5, then 3+ 5= 8= 1 (mod 7) so ø(g1g2)= ø(1)= 2 while ø(3)= 6 and ø(5)= 3 and 6+ 3= 9= 2 (mod 7).

Likes 1 person
Ooh thank you, I thought the group operation was multiplication

PsychonautQQ said:
Ooh thank you, I thought the group operation was multiplication
##Z_7## is the ring of integers modulo 7. Every ring is an additive group (just ignore the multiplication).

A ring is not a multiplicative group because ##0## has no multiplicative inverse, and the same may be true of other elements. However, the set of units (elements which have multiplicative inverses), if it is nonempty, does form a group under multiplication, called the group of units. To distinguish this group from the ring, we often use a notation such as ##Z_7^\times##.

In the case of ##Z_7##, or more generally ##Z_p## for any prime number, every nonzero element is a unit. So ##Z_7^\times## consists of ##\{1,2,3,4,5,6\}## and more generally, ##Z_p^\times## contains ##p-1## elements when ##p## is prime.

On the other hand, if ##n## is not prime, then some nonzero elements of ##Z_n## may not be units. For example, in ##Z_4##, the group of units is ##Z_4^\times = \{1,3\}##.

1. What is a group homomorphism in Z7?

A group homomorphism in Z7 is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of the group Z7. In simpler terms, it is a function that maps elements from one group to another in a way that maintains the group's operation and identity.

2. Why is Z7 used in group homomorphisms?

Z7 is commonly used in group homomorphisms because it is a finite and cyclic group, meaning it has a limited number of elements and can be generated by a single element. This makes it easier to study and understand the properties of group homomorphisms.

3. What is the importance of preserving the group structure in a homomorphism?

Preserving the group structure ensures that the operation and identity of the group are maintained, allowing for easier analysis and manipulation of the group's elements. It also allows for the transfer of properties and characteristics from one group to another.

4. Can a group homomorphism in Z7 have multiple answers?

Yes, a group homomorphism in Z7 can have multiple answers, as long as the function preserves the group structure. This means that there can be multiple ways to map elements from one group to another while maintaining the group's operation and identity.

5. How is a group homomorphism in Z7 different from other types of homomorphisms?

A group homomorphism in Z7 is specifically defined for mapping elements in the group Z7 to another group, while other types of homomorphisms may involve different groups or mathematical structures. Additionally, group homomorphisms in Z7 must preserve the group's operation and identity, whereas other types of homomorphisms may have different preservation requirements.