1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Homomorphism?

1. Aug 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Groups G and H are both groups in Z_7 (integer modulo), the mapping Is given by ø(g) = 2g

is ø: G-->H a homomorphism?

3. The attempt at a solution
    My textbook says yes, I can't understand why.

ø(g1g2) = 2(g1g2) does not equal 2g1*2g2 = ø(g1)ø(g2)

something missing here?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Apparently you are missing that this is in "Z_7". (I'm not sure what you mean by "groups in Z_7". The group Z_7, with either addition as operation, has only itself and the identity as subgroups.)

In any case, in Z_7, ø(0)= 0, ø(1)= 2, ø(2)= 4, ø(3)= 6, ø(4)= 1, ø(5)= 3, ø(6)= 5.

I wont go through all 36 possible combinations but, for example, if g1= 3 and g2= 5, then 3+ 5= 8= 1 (mod 7) so ø(g1g2)= ø(1)= 2 while ø(3)= 6 and ø(5)= 3 and 6+ 3= 9= 2 (mod 7).

4. Aug 5, 2014 #3
    Ooh thank you, I thought the group operation was multiplication

5. Aug 5, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##Z_7## is the ring of integers modulo 7. Every ring is an additive group (just ignore the multiplication).

A ring is not a multiplicative group because ##0## has no multiplicative inverse, and the same may be true of other elements. However, the set of units (elements which have multiplicative inverses), if it is nonempty, does form a group under multiplication, called the group of units. To distinguish this group from the ring, we often use a notation such as ##Z_7^\times##.

In the case of ##Z_7##, or more generally ##Z_p## for any prime number, every nonzero element is a unit. So ##Z_7^\times## consists of ##\{1,2,3,4,5,6\}## and more generally, ##Z_p^\times## contains ##p-1## elements when ##p## is prime.

On the other hand, if ##n## is not prime, then some nonzero elements of ##Z_n## may not be units. For example, in ##Z_4##, the group of units is ##Z_4^\times = \{1,3\}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted