Order of Homomorphisms and Finite Elements

In summary, for a homomorphism ψ: G→H and an element g ε G with finite order, the order of ψ(g) divides the order of g. This can be shown by first proving that ψ(g)^|g| = e and then using the general fact that if a^n = e, then |a| divides n. Additionally, if ψ is an isomorphism, it can be shown that |ψ(g)| = |g| by using eH and the fact that ψ is an isomorphism.
Locoism

Homework Statement

Let ψ: G→H be a homomorphism and let g ε G have finite order.
a) Show that the order of ψ(g) divides the order of g

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really lost here, but I'm guessing we can use the fact |ψ(g)| = {e,g...,g|g|-1}
and ψ(g|g|-1) = ψ(g)ψ(g)ψ(g)ψ(g)ψ(g)... (|g|-1 times)
I still have no idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
First show that

[tex]\psi(g)^{|g|}=e[/tex]

Then use the general fact that if [itex]a^n=e[/itex], then |a| divides n.

Ah ok but I would use eH?
Also, if it is an isomorphism, could I show |ψ(g)| = |g|?

Locoism said:
Ah ok but I would use eH?
Also, if it is an isomorphism, could I show |ψ(g)| = |g|?

Yes to both.

1. What is a group homomorphism?

A group homomorphism is a function between two groups that preserves the group operation. This means that for any two elements in the first group, their image under the function will have the same result as the operation on their images in the second group.

2. How is a group homomorphism different from an isomorphism?

A group homomorphism only needs to preserve the group operation, while an isomorphism also requires the function to be bijective, meaning it has a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two groups.

3. What is the order of a group homomorphism?

The order of a group homomorphism is the number of elements in its kernel, which is the set of elements in the domain that are mapped to the identity element in the codomain. It is denoted by |ker(f)|.

4. Can a group homomorphism be injective and surjective?

Yes, a group homomorphism can be both injective and surjective, in which case it is called an isomorphism. This means that the function is bijective and preserves the group operation, making it a one-to-one correspondence between the two groups.

5. How are the orders of the domain and codomain related in a group homomorphism?

The order of the domain must be a multiple of the order of the codomain in a group homomorphism. This is because the elements in the domain are mapped to elements in the codomain, and the order of the domain must be divisible by the order of the element it is mapped to in the codomain.