Why do orthogonal matrices have a specific number of independent parameters?

In summary: So if we can show that for all unitary matrices there exists a matrix such that its image equals the unit matrix, then we have shown that all the independent parameters are in fact in the unit matrix.In summary, a n x n orthogonal matrix has n(n-1)/2 independent parameters. And this can be shown using the orthogonality condition.
Ed Quanta
What does it mean to say that a n x n orthogonal matrix has n(n-1)/2 independent parameters? And why is this so? Can this be shown using the equation the summation with respect to i of the product aij(aik)= bjk

where j,k=1,2,3.

And bjk has the property bjk=1 when j=k
bjk=0 when j doesn't equal k

And with this being said, why does n x n unitary matrix have n^2-1 independent parameters. Can someone help clear some stuff up?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't explain the unitary bit, but for the orthogonal one:

Any orthogonal matrix can be written as a product of basic (my terminology, not standard) rotation matrices (plus some reflection, but let's not worry about that here) with respect to the standard basis

What are these? Well, what is a basic rotation: it fixes n-2 basis vectors and rotates the two remaining ones by some angle, theta. How many ways are there to pick 2 from n? n(n-1)/2

why are there more for unitary ones? Well, each entry has a real and an imaginary part, but I'm not going to attempt a more detailed explanation cos i'll muck it up.

That's a start anyway, but I'd need to know what your book defined 'independent parameter' as.

Last edited:
See the thing is, my crummy book never defined independent parameter. What you said makes sense to me, but I think this can be shown using the orthogonality condition.

well let's try using the orthogonality condition. Consider the space of all square nxn matrices and map it into itself by the map taking A to A.Atranspose.

I suppose an orthogonal; matrix is one whose inverse equals its transpose, right? So they would be the matrices which map to the identity by this map. Now the image of this map seems to equal all symmetric matrices, which do have dimension (1/2)(n)(n+1). So the domain space has dimension n^2 hence the fiber over one point would be expected to have dimension n^2 - (1/2)(n)n+1) = (1/2)(n-1)(n).

This same approach should do the unitary case too.

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the algebraic structures known as groups. It examines the properties and relationships between elements of a group, as well as the operations that can be performed on them.

2. What are the basic concepts of group theory?

The basic concepts of group theory include groups, subgroups, group operations, group axioms, group homomorphisms, and cosets. These concepts are used to define and analyze the properties of groups and their elements.

3. How is group theory used in other fields of science?

Group theory has applications in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, computer science, and cryptography. It is particularly useful in studying symmetries and patterns in nature, and in solving optimization and classification problems.

4. What are some important applications of group theory?

Some important applications of group theory include crystallography, molecular symmetry, particle physics, and coding theory. It is also used in cryptography for developing secure communication systems and in computer graphics for creating realistic 3D images.

5. What are some common group theory notations and symbols?

Some common notations and symbols used in group theory include the identity element (e), the inverse of an element (a^-1), the order of a group (|G|), and the cyclic group (Cn). Other symbols include the direct product (×), the subgroup relationship (⩽), and the isomorphism symbol (≅).