Symmetry Groups of Cube & Tetrahedron: Orthogonal Matrices & Permutations

In summary: ScientistIn summary, we defined two cyclic subgroups of order 2, normal, and with an intersection of the identity element. We also noticed that the orders of the elements in $A_4$ and $\mathcal A$ are the same, allowing us to establish an isomorphism between the two groups. We then used this isomorphism to show that $S(T)=A_4\langle I,R\rangle$ and $\mathcal A\cap \langle I,R\rangle = \{I\}$. To fully prove part (c), we need to show that $\langle I,R\rangle \approx \langle J,K\rangle$ by comparing the orders of the elements in both groups.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
This question was originally posted by ElConquistador, but in my haste I mistakenly deleted it as a duplicate. My apologies...

View attachment 6247

For part (a) we can define two cyclic subgroups of order $2$, both normal, $\langle J\rangle$ and $\langle K\rangle$ such that $V=\langle J\rangle \langle K\rangle$ and $\langle J\rangle\cap \langle K\rangle=\{I\}$. Therefore $V=\langle J\rangle\times \langle K\rangle\approx \mathbb{Z}_2\oplus \mathbb{Z}_2$
$A=\{I,P,Q,JP,JQ,KP,KQ,JKP,JKQ,J,K,JK\}$ which is a subset of the $48$ matrices in $S(C)$.

For part **(b)** we can notice that the orders of the elements in these two groups are the same. $A_4$ has 1 element of order $1$, $3$ elements of order $2$, and $8$ elements of order $3$. Similarly, in $\mathcal A$, $I$ has order $1$, $J, K, JK$ have order $2$, and the rest of the $8$ elements have order $3$.

I'm not sure about part (c) but I think it has to do with proving that $S(T)=\mathcal A\{I,R\}$ and $\mathcal A \cap \{I,R\} = \{I\}$ but I'm not sure how to show this.

On the rest I'm really stumped...

Attachments

• ElConquistador2.jpg
    ElConquistador2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 63
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello ElConquistador,

Thank you for your question. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with this problem.

For part (a), you have defined two cyclic subgroups of order 2 that are normal and their intersection is the identity element. This is a good start. However, I would like to clarify that $V=\langle J\rangle \langle K\rangle$ is not a direct product, but rather a semidirect product. This is because the two subgroups do not commute with each other. In a direct product, the subgroups must commute. So, we can say that $V=\langle J\rangle \rtimes \langle K\rangle \approx \mathbb{Z}_2\rtimes \mathbb{Z}_2$.

For part (b), you are correct in noticing that the orders of the elements in $A_4$ and $\mathcal A$ are the same. This is important because it means that we can map one group onto the other. This is known as an isomorphism. So, we can say that $A_4\approx \mathcal A$. This is a useful result that we can use to prove part (c).

For part (c), you are on the right track. We want to show that $S(T)=\mathcal A\langle I,R\rangle$ and $\mathcal A\cap \langle I,R\rangle = \{I\}$. To do this, we can use the isomorphism we found in part (b). We know that $A_4\approx \mathcal A$, so we can say that $S(T)=A_4\langle I,R\rangle$. Now, we need to show that $\langle I,R\rangle \approx \langle J,K\rangle$. This can be done by showing that the elements in $\langle I,R\rangle$ have the same orders as the elements in $\langle J,K\rangle$. Once we have established this, we can use the isomorphism to prove the second part of part (c).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is a symmetry group?

A symmetry group is a mathematical concept that describes all possible transformations that leave an object unchanged. In the context of cube and tetrahedron, a symmetry group refers to the set of all rotations and reflections that can be applied to the shape without altering its appearance.

What is a cube?

A cube is a three-dimensional shape with six square faces, twelve edges, and eight vertices. It is often referred to as a regular hexahedron and is one of the five Platonic solids. The cube is also considered a highly symmetrical shape, with 48 different symmetry operations.

What is a tetrahedron?

A tetrahedron is a three-dimensional shape with four triangular faces, six edges, and four vertices. It is also considered a Platonic solid and has 12 different symmetry operations. The tetrahedron is also known for its high degree of symmetry.

What are orthogonal matrices?

Orthogonal matrices are square matrices with real entries that have a special property where their inverse is equal to their transpose. In the context of symmetry groups, orthogonal matrices represent rotations of the cube and tetrahedron around their axes.

What is the connection between symmetry groups and permutations?

Permutations refer to the rearrangement of objects or elements in a set. In the context of symmetry groups, permutations refer to the different ways in which the vertices of a cube or tetrahedron can be arranged while maintaining the same overall shape. These permutations are an essential part of understanding the symmetries of these shapes.