1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Theory

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    Hi. Can anyone help me figure out how to find the conjugacy classes for a certain group and the elements in each class. I'm looking at the dihedral group of degree 5 (D5). I found the 10 elements in the group, but I dont know how to get the conjugacy classes and the elements in them? Can anyone help? Thanks. In the group, a^5=e; b^2=e; ab=ba^-1

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do it. Take an element x, work out all its conjugates. Use the relations to help:

aba^{-1} = ba^{-2}

so b and ba^{-2} are conjugate. Rinse and repeat, There are two cases depending on n.

4. Mar 11, 2005 #3
    you are assuming the group is Abelian. Do you know for a fact that D5 in this situation is Abelian?

5. Mar 11, 2005 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

point groups are Abelian if memory serves me correctly.

6. Mar 11, 2005 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am most definitely NOT assuming the group is abelian.

HINT: G is abelian IFF aba^{-1}=b for all a and b. I think you'll find I wrote

aba^{-1} = ba^{-2}

7. Mar 11, 2005 #6
    wow... some how I thought you wrote:

b = ba^{-2}

Don't know where that came from :-p

Onto another question though. How do you know that ba^{-2} is the conjugate of b from:

aba^{-1} = ba^{-2}

I am not seeing the steps between.

8. Mar 11, 2005 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is a dihedral group with generators a and b satisfying a^n=e=b^2 ab=ba^{-1], (n=5 for this particular example).

If you don't see why b and ba^{-2} are conjugate then this implies in my mind that you do not know what conjugate means.

b=ba^{-2} simply implies that a^2=e, that is all, by the way, nothing to do with abelian or otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  9. Mar 22, 2005 #8
    Matt, can I ask a question while you are here?

On the subject of Dihedral groups, I am considering [tex]\mathcal{D}_n[/tex], the dihedral group of order [tex]2n[/tex].

How would I go about finding the normal subgroups of [tex]\mathcal{D}_n[/tex]. Do I consider the two distinct cases separately? That is, first let [tex]n=even[/tex] then work out the rotation maps [tex]a[/tex] and relfection maps [tex]b[/tex], and then let [tex]n=odd[/tex] and do the same thing?

What kind of things should I recognize (if any)? And will I be surprised?

I am just starting to think about these things, so I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks for any insight.

10. Mar 22, 2005 #9
    Continuing on from what I said.

if I consider the case where [tex]n[/tex] is even. Then obviously

[tex]a^n = e[/tex]
    [tex]b^2 = e[/tex]
    [tex]bab^{-1} = a^{-1}[/tex]

and for [tex]n[/tex] odd, is it different? I dont even know if I'm on the right track.

11. Mar 23, 2005 #10

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A simple test for normality of a subgroup:

N is normal in G if and only if N is a union of conjugacy classes (this is one proof that A_5 is simple)

Your second post doesn't seem related to the first. The relations defining the dihedral group say nothing about whether n is even or odd.

12. Mar 23, 2005 #11

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you might also look at the geomketric picture of this group, i.e. its action on a polygon of n sides.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?