Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Groups and Subgroups!

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if a group G has no subgroup other than G and {e}, then G is cyclic....

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

we could say that, let a E G - {e} then we construct <a>...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds good. Why are you having doubts?

4. Jul 10, 2008 #3
    how do I construct <a> ??

5. Jul 10, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Well, you were the one who used that notation- what is the definition of "<a>"?

6. Jul 10, 2008 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Huh? Well by definition, <a>={..., a^-1,e,a,a²,a³,...}. Since <a> is a subgroup by construction and since it is not equal to {e}, it is equal to G.

7. Jul 10, 2008 #6
    oh yeah sure! I meant how would say, after constructing it! I forgot it is equal to {e} it is equal to G...this is what I get!
    We could say that, let a E G - {e} then we construct <a> =
    a, a^2, a^3... a^n=1 <- cyclic subgroup generated by element a.
    Since <a> is subgroup, it must coincide with G (because G is the only subgroup), but then a generates G: <a> = G, which is definition of G being cyclic....
    are we done after saying this statement or should we have to mention something else?
    thanks for offering help!

8. Jul 10, 2008 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well what you wrote for the definition of <a> is incorrect, and don't forget to say "since <a> is not {e}, it is G".

9. Jul 10, 2008 #8
    ohh yeah I am sorry about that...I was in hurry or something to write it down! but yeah I believe everything else is fine and I would not forget to mention that <a> is not equal to {e}..it is G!
    Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook