Solve Guass Jordan Problem: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter paulchem
  • Start date
In summary, PaulChem was trying to do an equation but was having trouble with the format. He mentioned that formatting can make the equation easier to follow. He also mentioned that x, y, and z can be found by solving the equation.
paulchem
Use guass jordan reduction

Hi, sorry for introducing myself. I was just frustrated because I've been trying to do this problem for awhile.

4x+y-3z=11
2x-3y+2z=9
x+y+z=-3

4 1 -3 11
0 -1 0 3
0 3 7 -23

R2+2R3-->R2
4R3+-R1-->R3

3R1+-R3-->R1
4 0 2 56
0 -1 0 3
0 3 7 -23

I'm stuck here.

The calculator gave me

1 0 0 7/18
0 1 0 -3
0 0 1 -7/18

Please tell me where I went wrong thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing I often do with these type of problems is that I redo the work from scratch -- I usually won't make the same mistake both times. (swapping rows around decreases the odds of remaking the mistake too)

That being said, you made an arithmetic error computing R2+2R3-->R2.

Last edited:
I think a good idea when you start one of these questions is to first eliminate any coefficients of x which are greater than 1. So in the case of your question, starting with the given system, I would do:

R1' = R1 - 4R3
R2' = R2 - 2R3

Hello PaulChem. You know, I'm not trying to be critical, really I'm not, but those numbers look a little "busy", hard to follow. I don't expect you to know now how to make some really nice math format using LaTex which you can learn all about by jumping to the Physics Forum and checking out "Introducing LaTex". But here is what it would look like with a little formatting. Just double click on it and a small window will pop up showing the LaTex commands:

[tex]
\left[
\begin{array}{cccc}
4 & 1 & -3 & 11 \\
0 & -1 & 0 & 3 \\
0 & 3 & 7 & -23
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

Edit: alright single click, whatever. I get confussed. :yuck:

Last edited:
And if you want to draw a partitioned array...

[tex]

\left(

\begin{array}{ccc|c}

4 & 1 & -3 & 11 \\

0 & -1 & 0 & 3 \\

0 & 3 & 7 & -23

\end{array}

\right)

[/tex]

Hurkyl said:
And if you want to draw a partitioned array...

[tex]

\left(

\begin{array}{ccc|c}

4 & 1 & -3 & 11 \\

0 & -1 & 0 & 3 \\

0 & 3 & 7 & -23

\end{array}

\right)

[/tex]

Oh that is so much nicer. Mine is crummy.

Edit: Yep, PaulChem, I say do the whole problem again using Hurkly's format, step by step, nice "partitioned arrays", cut and past his commands into your post. With a final line saying: x, y, and z are: :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the Gauss Jordan method?

The Gauss Jordan method is a mathematical algorithm used to solve systems of linear equations. It involves transforming the original system into an equivalent system with a simpler form, making it easier to find the solution.

2. How does the Gauss Jordan method work?

The Gauss Jordan method works by performing a series of row operations on the original system of equations. These operations include multiplying a row by a constant, swapping rows, and adding one row to another. By doing these operations, the system is transformed into an upper triangular form, making it easier to find the solution.

3. What is the purpose of using the Gauss Jordan method?

The purpose of using the Gauss Jordan method is to find the exact solution to a system of linear equations. It eliminates the need for guesswork and reduces the chances of making calculation errors. Additionally, it can be used to find the inverse of a matrix, which is useful in many applications.

4. Can the Gauss Jordan method be used for any system of equations?

Yes, the Gauss Jordan method can be used for any system of linear equations, as long as there are an equal number of equations and variables. It is particularly useful for systems with many equations and variables, as it reduces the amount of calculation needed to find the solution.

5. Are there any limitations to the Gauss Jordan method?

One limitation of the Gauss Jordan method is that it can only be used for systems of linear equations. It cannot be applied to nonlinear equations. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient method for larger systems, as it involves a lot of calculations. In these cases, other methods such as Gaussian elimination may be more suitable.