Guidance with app development to receive signal

In summary: Depends. For a single device or prototyping it is often much faster, easier and cheaper to use something ready (ignoring parts of the functionality) than to start from scratch (you save on designing, debugging and manufacturing). When you want to go to the mass production then yes, saving a cent per unit can be a worthy endeavor.
Boltzman Oscillation
TL;DR Summary
I need to develop an app that will receive a signal from a heat sensor to ring the phone when temperature is too high. What programming would I need to use? Can that programming receive signals?
I was assigned a project where I need to have a heat sensor send a signal to my phone and cause it to sound an alarm. If my phone is an android what is a good app programming tool for this project, I’ve never done app programming. Would I be able to send a signal from the sensor to the phone? Lastly, I will be using a micro controller in the project too. Any help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you only care when you are near the temperature sensor? If so, you could connect to it via Bluetooth.

If not, you will need an Internet-type application, similar to home control apps, I believe.

https://shop.ring.com/pages/doorbell-cameras

berkeman said:
Do you only care when you are near the temperature sensor? If so, you could connect to it via Bluetooth.

If not, you will need an Internet-type application, similar to home control apps, I believe.

https://shop.ring.com/pages/doorbell-cameras
Ah yes, we were planning on using bluetooth. Sorry but I made myself unclear, the sensor will need to detect whether the temperature of a room has gone up a certain value and ring the user's phone if it does. Also I might have to make this more barebones than just buying a bluetooth enabled sensor itself although I would have to ask my instructors.

Do you know domoticz?

Borek said:
Do you know domoticz?
No, why?

Borek said:
Do you know domoticz?
I can’t use raspberry pi or Arduino either.

Boltzman Oscillation said:
Also I might have to make this more barebones than just buying a bluetooth enabled sensor itself although I would have to ask my instructors.
You are making us guess too much. How barebones? Do you need to design your own bluetooth chips?

Problems like this can sometimes be cleared up by posting the complete statement of the project requirements.

anorlunda said:
You are making us guess too much. How barebones? Do you need to design your own bluetooth chips?

Problems like this can sometimes be cleared up by posting the complete statement of the project requirements.
You are correct, I myself don't know how barebones it has to be. I will try asking again once I have a better understanding, thank you for your time.

I will be sending a warning text to a phone by using a sim900. I have seen that there are prebuilt setups with the sim900 chip, Sim card reader, antennae, audio ports, etc but I only want to send texts and tell the sim900 when to send one. I could buy the presets and just use the texting functionality but this is for an engineering project and it seems like a waste of money to buy something that you won't use. So my question is, what would I need to send a text? My guess would be a sim900 chip, a Sim card, Sim card reader, a microcontroller (I'm not allowed to use Arduino/pi), and power supply. For context, I will be measuring the temperature of a car with a thermometer, when it reaches a certain temperature then the sim900 should send a text to the owner's phone.

Have you looked at projects of this sort online? I would start there.

I know many use Arduino but the other components should be the same and you can get an idea of how to do it and what specific actions your microcontroller will need to do to make it work.

jedishrfu said:
Have you looked at projects of this sort online? I would start there.

I know many use Arduino but the other components should be the same and you can get an idea of how to do it and what specific actions your microcontroller will need to do to make it work.
All of them just use the presets circuits with the sim900 and peripherals.

berkeman said:
Is this the same as your other thread?
Duplicate threads merged.

Boltzman Oscillation said:
I could buy the presets and just use the texting functionality but this is for an engineering project and it seems like a waste of money to buy something that you won't use.

Depends. For a single device or prototyping it is often much faster, easier and cheaper to use something ready (ignoring parts of the functionality) than to start from scratch (you save on designing, debugging and manufacturing). When you want to go to the mass production then yes, saving a cent per unit can be a worthy endeavor.

1. How do I receive a signal in my app?

To receive a signal in your app, you will need to implement a receiver that listens for the signal. This can be done through various methods such as using a broadcast receiver or creating a listener for a specific event. You will also need to ensure that the signal is being sent correctly from the source.

2. What is the best way to test for signal reception in my app?

The best way to test for signal reception in your app is to use a testing tool or emulator that allows you to simulate different network conditions. This will help you identify any potential issues with signal reception and allow you to make necessary adjustments to your code.

3. How can I improve the reliability of signal reception in my app?

To improve the reliability of signal reception in your app, you can implement error handling and retry mechanisms. This will help your app handle any network disruptions or errors and attempt to receive the signal again. You can also optimize your code and network settings to ensure efficient signal reception.

4. Are there any security concerns when receiving a signal in my app?

Yes, there are potential security concerns when receiving a signal in your app. It is important to ensure that the signal is coming from a trusted source and that your app is properly securing the connection. You can also implement encryption or other security measures to protect the signal and any sensitive data being transmitted.

5. Can I receive a signal in my app without an internet connection?

Yes, it is possible to receive a signal in your app without an internet connection. This can be done through methods such as using Bluetooth or NFC technology. However, keep in mind that these methods may have limitations and may not be suitable for all types of signals.