Can You Bring the Laughs? GURU Awards Approaching!

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the upcoming Guru Awards and the lack of humor among members. There were suggestions for more fun and frivolity, and some members even offered to bribe others for nominations. The topic of humor and whether it is innate or influenced by environment was also discussed. Some members were serious about the awards, while others joked about it. In the end, there were mentions of strong contenders for the Funniest Member Award and a humorous reference to a survey on how people spend their time.
EnumaElish said:
When I first opened this page today, 2 of the 3 ads inside the top margin were for chocolate (Luxury Dark and CCBerries). Is there a subtle message here?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What are you trying to tell us Evo and Moonbear?

Physics news on Phys.org
laminatedevildoll said:
how can you give them chocolates?
Anyone persistent enough should be able to find a way to email gift coupons.

EnumaElish said:
Anyone persistent enough should be able to find a way to email gift coupons.
Sticks a GOOBF card into EnumaElish's computer for being so wise. :approve:

I think Evo's hot :D

Pengwuino said:
I think Evo's hot :D
Pengwuino now has diplomatic immunity (sorry Smurf). :tongue:

Evo said:
Pengwuino now has diplomatic immunity (sorry Smurf). :tongue:

If I were you, Evo, I wouldn't be too quick to give out diplomatic immunity until he can prove that he can make a chocolate souffle.

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
If I were you, Evo, I wouldn't be too quick to give out diplomatic immunity until he can prove that he can make a chocolate souffle.
:)
Zz.
Excellent point Zz! Perhaps a raspberry coulis to go with it.

<removes pengwuino's immunity>

Oh god... cooking

one of my many weaknesses

this is blatant anti-pengwuinoism :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

I think a Holiday Cook Off to decide the Guru Awards this year would be perfect! :!) :!) :!)

sory, MIH, you, recon, and kerrie will be getting some truckloads soon. Evo, one more for you?

yomamma said:
sory, MIH, you, recon, and kerrie will be getting some truckloads soon. Evo, one more for you?
What a fine boy you are! A delightful boy! :smile: :approve:

Math Is Hard said:
We also have a Sister Kerrie, but she's on leave right now. Having a pregnant nun in the group was too suspicious. :biggrin: But she'll be back with us shortly at least on a part-time basis, I hope. :approve:
Yes, Kerrie handles our recruitment office. :biggrin:

Evo said:
What a fine boy you are! A delightful boy! :smile: :approve:
http://www.nirvanachocolates.com

just a preview of SOME of the trucks arriving tomorrow

god, Danger has no limit on this thing

Evo said:
I think a Holiday Cook Off to decide the Guru Awards this year would be perfect! :!) :!) :!)
Last Christmas I sent out Fudge to some of my internet lady friends. This year I wanted to try out the Chocolate Guinness Brownies recipe I found. I need to figure out where I can buy godiva chocolate around here though.
If I am able to get the made and figure out how to keep them fresh in transport feel free to send me your adress and I will mail you some. Last year I sent my packages with two or three day delivery so that they wouldn't go bad or get too melty before they arrived.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Last Christmas I sent out Fudge to some of my internet lady friends. This year I wanted to try out the Chocolate Guinness Brownies recipe I found. I need to figure out where I can buy godiva chocolate around here though.
If I am able to get the made and figure out how to keep them fresh in transport feel free to send me your adress and I will mail you some. Last year I sent my packages with two or three day delivery so that they wouldn't go bad or get too melty before they arrived.
Oooh, I might take you up on that!

Can someone tell me where can I find about who are the new gurus of this year?

ramollari said:
Can someone tell me where can I find about who are the new gurus of this year?
The mentors are currently submitting their nominations, members will be allowed to vote very soon.

is it true that funniest member is not being voted on for lack of candidates?

I think the funny member award should just have two options: Tribdog, Danger. Anyone who votes for someone else is crazy :smile:

but you have to take into account I wasn't here for a few months. do you give Danger the vote because he has 50 gems out of 14432 posts or me with my 45 gems out of 49? It is a tough call. lol ok 45 out of 50 as this one sucks

mattmns said:
I think the funny member award should just have two options: Tribdog, Danger. Anyone who votes for someone else is crazy :smile:
You need to read Artman's & zooby's posts. Danger hasn't even been in GD for half the year. :grumpy: tribdog disappeared shortly after receiving his award. :devil:

I think I'm am going to put temporary stickies up for each candidate. They can place their funny posts for the past year in their threads for people to read and decide which person deserves the award.

Last edited:
If only jimmyp would come back.

Andy said:
If only jimmyp would come back.
:cry: He was funny. :frown:

Evo said:
You need to read Artman's & zooby's posts. Danger hasn't even been in GD for half the year.
that either doesn't say much for artman and zooby or that Danger is funnier when he doesn't speak.
I'm pretty sure we all agree I'm the most consistently funny, but I don't know that I've very many upper eschelon jokes lately and my time away has to hurt my chances (although absence seems to be helping danger)
artman sometimes comes up with something extremely funny, but when he bombs it is just as extreme.
zooby i won't talk about
The Statutory Ape has cracked me up on a couple of occasions as well, but again he can fail miserably when he wants to
I reread the first page of this post and got the feeling that humor was in short supply during that time. I wasn't around to verify the lack of humor available and haven't heard the complaint since I came back (probably a coincidence) so I don't know how true it was.
oh, and Ivan is getting to be pretty funny lately. and there was someone else but I can't quite remember who it was at the moment.
I've always thought MIH was hilarious and if this award can be given posthumously she should get it.

Evo said:
:cry: He was funny. :frown:
and he could dance.
I miss jimmyp, it is rare to find somone like him. If I could find 5 more like him I'd be the next Charles Manson. Did you know he actually built a shrine and sacrificed rubber chickens to me almost every night?

No he didnt, he used to spend all his time down the local pub with me, then along came a woman and the rest is history.

Bloody good dancer when he's drunk thinks he can sing like Axl Rose aswell, and that is funny!

Trib said:
The Statutory Ape has cracked me up on a couple of occasions as well, but again he can fail miserably when he wants to
Wow! I make the Tribdog laugh! I can die happy now!
I tend to think making bad jokes is funny much to the groaning dismay of my peers.

And I agree, MIH is definitely a good candidate for nomination.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Wow! I make the Tribdog laugh! I can die happy now!

I tend to think making bad jokes is funny much to the groaning dismay of my peers.

And I agree, MIH is definitely a good candidate for nomination.
MIH has been nominated, she is very funny. :biggrin:

Darn I can't give away who all the nominees are, I haven't received enough chocolate yet. :shy:

Evo said:
MIH has been nominated, she is very funny. :biggrin:
Darn I can't give away who all the nominees are, I haven't received enough chocolate yet. :shy:
Yes, that is the problem with tribdog and Danger both being absent so much of the year...there's been a serious gap in the chocolate shipments. That is, unless we count the chocolate shipments that yomamma has been sending with Danger's credit card in Danger's favor. :uhh:

Moonbear said:
Yes, that is the problem with tribdog and Danger both being absent so much of the year...there's been a serious gap in the chocolate shipments. That is, unless we count the chocolate shipments that yomamma has been sending with Danger's credit card in Danger's favor. :uhh:
Don't forget I was here at the beginning of the year as well. And also don't forget that if I lose I'll pout. and also don't forget that the winner represents PF for an entire year as the ambassador of what PFers think is funny. That label will be next to EVERY one of their posts. Example
Danger Funny Guru of PF:I don't know why I never, until this post, realized how much those little buggers look like exploding clams.
it'll be on your conscience
If you want to see a little head to head between danger and the CURRENT Comedy Guru I'd suggest the following thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=99626"

Last edited by a moderator:
tribdog said:
Don't forget I was here at the beginning of the year as well.
But you were very UNfunny at the beginning of the year. Despite all your campaign promises, you got your pink ribbon, ran off to celebrate, and then turned all serious...court...blah blah chocolate blah...jail...blah blah chocolate blah...blowing up mountains...okay, that had humor potential, but I never did see that mushroom cloud in the news that I was expecting. :grumpy:

Sorry I thought the act of ripping my heart out and kicking it under the couch gave you enough laughs to last all year

wow and I thought that was just a giant dust bunny!

hypatia said:
wow and I thought that was just a giant dust bunny!
That was funny! :biggrin:

Okay, hypatia just won Funniest Member of 2005. Everyone else move along.

Moonbear said:
But you were very UNfunny at the beginning of the year. Despite all your campaign promises, you got your pink ribbon, ran off to celebrate, and then turned all serious...court...blah blah chocolate blah...jail...blah blah chocolate blah...blowing up mountains...okay, that had humor potential, but I never did see that mushroom cloud in the news that I was expecting. :grumpy:
Gee Moonbear, do you remember when tribdog returned recently and announced that he realized being gone all year disqualified him from this year's contest and that he wasn't considering running anyway? Hmmmm?